Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2013 02:00

VNX Data Mover Failover

Hi

I'm completely new to EMC storage, but we are looking at getting in a pair of VNX's very soon. Most is block, but we were looking to use the Data Movers for file server CIFS/SMB services.

One DM is based at site1, and the other at site2. My quesiton is, does the IP address of the 'file server' service (that users UNC to in Windows) get transferred from one DM to another in the event of a failover? (We do have a layer 2 network (stretched vLAN) between the two sites).

If not, how do the users get re-pointed to the failover DM?

Thanks

53 Posts

October 30th, 2013 03:00

hi,

just to need the network name same(interface name) on both side and also  use VDM for replication instead of physical DM.

also check and verify DNS should be updated after failover with new IP and same hostname of CIFS server.

Regards,

Muhammad

October 30th, 2013 04:00

Thanks. Are you saying that you can failover between two PHYSICAL VNXs without the user noticing (IP inherited). Or are you just talking about single VNX DM local standby failover? AN EMC guy has told me that "local" failover is fine, but when failing over (DR) to the other site2 VNX, it will need a different IP address and will only inherit the DNS name and credentials and that users will need to update DNS to reconnect. This seems crazy to me if it is true.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 30th, 2013 04:00

standby datamover takes over primary datamover identity, that includes mac address, ip addresses, routing tables, etc.  These days they failover so fast that if CIFS client is not actively using the share they will not notice a thing, otherwise that will need to double click on the mapped drive to re-establish CIFS session.

October 30th, 2013 05:00

Am I the only person here thinking that is poor?

Would I not be better off with a Windows cluster!?

So, I assume I need to ensure that our DNS A record has a very short TTL? (<5 mins)? Otherwise our users would need to wait perhaps an hour before their desktop 'realises' the IP change?

.... poor.

53 Posts

October 30th, 2013 05:00

below is ture

"it will need a different IP address and will only inherit the DNS name and credentials and that users will need to update DNS to reconnect"

if you need more info on it please do not hesitate

Regards,

Muhammad

53 Posts

October 30th, 2013 06:00

its very simple, when CIFS server is move to another site it get the same network interface and different IP and updated the record in DNS. so in that case replicated the file systems and VDM. you have updated copy on both site.

with same CIFS server name and path for users.

windows cluster cannot provide the replication feature. otherwise you use the windows DFS replication feature:)

Regards,

Awais

October 30th, 2013 06:00

You can though (I believe) have a Windows server attached to EMC storage (both in site1) and a Windows server in site 2 attached to the EMC replicated data (also in site2)  and set them up as a cluster.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 30th, 2013 07:00

we are talking about file functionality of the platform and its inherit replication features.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 30th, 2013 07:00

yeah, you must have dynamic dns update enable in active directory DNS, in some shops its disabled for security reasons. In that case if you were to fail-over to DR VNX you would need to manually modify A records.

8.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 03:00

In a properly configured network this works just fine

There are good reasons for this

If you want to have the same IP you can do that manually

No Events found!