Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2013 06:00

VNX Monitoring & Reporting units of measure

Monitoring & Reporting Gurus,

We have the VNX Monitoring & Reporting installed and configured, and I can see this developing into a pretty significant product. I had a question about some of the reports however. In any report where I am trying to guage IOPS or performance, the data tends to come back in nb/s. Has anyone seen this unit of measure and can tell me what it is/how to convert it into something meaningful? Our management team would like to see these reports, but if I cannot explain what the unit of measure is, they will not find any value to these reports or this product. We are running 1.01 (the latest version to my knowledge), but we have seen this behavior in 1.0 as well.

Thanks,

Joe

May 20th, 2013 22:00

Joe,

Firstly, please consider moving this discussion to the proper community for maximum visibility.  Posts in the users' "Discussions" space do not get the same amount of attention and questions can go unanswered for a while.  You can do so by selecting "Move discussion" along the right (under ACTIONS) and the community relevant to this question would be:

All Places > Support Community > VNX Family > VNX Support Forum

To answer your question, Nb/s stands for "Numbers per second".  As for how to convert it, if at all, would rely on context.

8 Posts

May 21st, 2013 05:00

Pardon my ignorance (I went to public school), but how is Numbers per second a unit of measure? Below is a graph of the QueueLength on SPA. 100,000 numbers seems bad, depending on what the numbers are. This is where I am looking for clarification and some kind of conversion to a more standardized unit of measure. I appreciate your response. Hopefully this graph will help illustrate my frustration with some of these reports.

QueueLength - SPA.JPG

4.5K Posts

June 7th, 2013 09:00

Do you see nb/s for all the graphs or just the Queue Length? I'm guessing but maybe since the term queue length refers to the number of outstanding IO's at the device, you could say that this is a measure of the "number" of outstanding IO's pending on the device.

If you look a graph for a LUN and select IO/s - does the legend show nb/s or IOPS?

glen

8 Posts

August 1st, 2013 13:00

I finally got with EMC support and they have told me that on customized reports (such as the one I have above) the values do not calculate correctly. So the Queue Length shows incredibly high numbers. That being said, the canned report shows my average queue length as 0-2 (where it should be). This is a bug/feature in the software and if I want accurate numbers, I have to upgrade to the full Watch 4 Net product. Not likely to happen.

August 3rd, 2013 00:00

Thanks for sharing.

8.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2013 09:00

What is your SR number?

8 Posts

August 5th, 2013 06:00

SR# 55544162.

What I was told in an email:

"Joseph,

I am the new owner of the SR# 55544162, that is open for VNX reporting issue.  My colleagues (colleague 1) and (colleague 2) are out of the office during the next week and I see that he updated you with the latest on this SR.  The computed value for queue length that you are trying to derive in VNX M&R is not available in this version.  Watch4Net gives the ability to compute custom values.  Also per his last update, VNX M&R 1.1 would also have the ability to schedule reports.  Let me know if there are any concerns on this SR or if this can be closed."

Also, I have updated to version 1.1 and it has the same issue.

No Events found!