Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 15th, 2015 21:00

VNX NAS File System Shrinking / Migration

HI, I have a question around the age old problem of not being able to shrink a file systems that has been previously expanded to save capacity within the file system.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any new technology which is capable of saving that age old problem with NAS FS.  That of reclaiming the space from a FS which you expand and expand and expand, only to archive and free up a large chunk of
space.

At the moment a filesystem > filesystem copy seems the only method, but is there a better method?  Either through EMC tools or third party utility.

Any thoughts on this, alternative ways to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

8.6K Posts

February 16th, 2015 03:00

There is something on the VNX roadmap to reclaim space for this use case – since its NDA you would need to talk to your local EMC contact for details

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i thought i will retire before that comes into fruition !!! 

20 Posts

HI,

Thanks for coming back to me on this, we are an EMC business partner so have the NDA in place.

I will contact our local EMC rep to see if I Can get this information.

Kind Regards,

David Beattie

Reciprocal Ltd

: +44(0) 7766 445414 (Mobile)

: +44(0) 207 947 4274 (Office)

: dwbeattie555

3 Attachments

8.6K Posts

February 16th, 2015 13:00

Dynamox – last time we met you didnt look old enough to retire anytime soon ☺

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 16th, 2015 13:00

I keep playing the lottery man so i can retire soon

23 Posts

November 17th, 2015 23:00

Hello Rainer,

Can you confirm the feature you were referring to is the VNX2 Series Feature , added in VNX OE for File 8.1.8.121 ?

From

VNX Operating Environment for Block 05.33.008.5.119 and for File 8.1.8.121, EMC Unisphere 1.3.8.1.0119 Release Notes

File space reclaim

For file systems that are built on thin LUNs from VNX for Block storage pools, you can now free up (reclaim) space in the pool after files and checkpoints have been deleted. You can reclaim space in the storage pool from either a Production File System (PFS) on a thin LUN or a checkpoint (SavVol) on a thin LUN.

To do this, choose one of the following methods:

• Manually run a file system or checkpoint space reclaim process when needed.

• Create a schedule to automatically run a file system or checkpoint space reclaim process daily, weekly, or monthly when required.

Regards,

Conor.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 18th, 2015 10:00

i don't think file space reclaim means file system shrink. You can reclaim space consumed by savvol, or the space behind the pool ..as i believe now you can use thin provisioned LUNs for datamover storage.

8.6K Posts

November 19th, 2015 13:00

Conor-Pg2Ld wrote:

Hello Rainer,

Can you confirm the feature you were referring to is the VNX2 Series Feature , added in VNX OE for File 8.1.8.121 ?

yes its in that code

As dynamox says its not the same a file system shrink - the file system size and used capacity will not change.

No Events found!