Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2018 02:00

VNX SPS replacement - is it non-disruptive?

Hi,

I've got a VNX5100 with two SPs and two SPSs and one of the SPSs has failed.

The array is continuing to operate as normal and the write cache is enabled.

Can anyone confirm if the SPS replacement is non-disruptive and if there is a documented procedure for doing the replacement?

I've tried to find a procedure on SoLVe but there does not seem to be anything for SPSs.

My understanding of the SP and PSU design is that the PSUs are connected to the SPSs (one PSU per SPS) and power a common power bus in the DPE enclosure from which the SPs and drives draw power. This allows both for non-disruptive PSU replacement and I think non-disruptive SPS replacement. I'd like this confirmed before doing the actual replacement.

We are assuming/hoping but want confirmation that we can do the following:

• with SPS A functional and SP A and SP B operating
    • power off SPS B using its power switch
    • SP B will continue to operate as it will continue to receive power via SPS A via SP A and the common power bus
    • disconnect SPS B
    • remove SPS B
    • insert replacement SPS
    • connect replacement SPS
    • power on replacement SPS

Can anyone confirm this?

24 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 04:00

I've managed to find the document I need ( vnx_p_replace_1u_sps.pdf ) on mydocuments.emc.com

I was hampered by network connectivity issues and used my mobile to get it.

In short, replacing a faulty SPS in a two SPS system is non-disruptive and easy to do.

Our process was:

• remove all the securing screws
  • power off the faulty SPS using it's power switch
  • remove the site power going into the SPS
  • remove the SP power going out of the SPS
  • remove the sense cable
  • remove the faulty SPS
  • insert the replacement SPS
  • connect the sense cable
  • connect the SP power
  • connect the site power
  • power on the replacement SPS using it's power switch

The SPS powered up and the diagnostic LEDs did their thing. The green light flashed for a while ( self test? ) and is now solid and the array is no longer faulted.

I'm pleased to say that users were unaffected.

4.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2018 09:00

Glad you were able to find the procedure. Yes, the green led will flash for a bit - it's testing.

Please mark your question as answered so that others will benefit from your experience.

glen

1 Message

September 18th, 2019 22:00

Hi, this is actually very useful for me as I have a faulty SPS on a VNX5500 and I am waiting for the spare part. Did you have to disable "Write Cache" before replacing the SPS? Thanks
No Events found!