Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2014 22:00

VNX2 5800 - 8GFC SLICs Port BW/LUN limits – future 16GFC SLICs?

Hi All,

We are looking @ a 5800 config (includes 2 x Data Movers for file) for a highly virtualized environment of approx. 180+ VM's (IAAS Private Cloud). Note Prod and Test Data Warehouse high BW VM's are included.

My query is that with 2 x 8GFC SLIC's configured per SP (8 ports per SP), there are some limitations with BW/LUNs per port & future expandability, especially bearing in mind that the 2 x Data Movers taking up minimum 2 FC ports/SP (Possibly more ports? Plus more FC ports for 3rd Data Mover in future...). Note also have 1 x SAS SLIC configured per SP plus we also need to keep a slot free on SP's for future iSCSI SLIC's (for vRPA's use to DR 2nd VNX), thus leaving only one free slot per SP.

Suppose what im saying is we have 16GFC HBA's & 16GFC Brocade switch's configured but VNX2 currently provides a 8GFC 4 port SLIC option... 16Gb SLIC's would obviously provide 2 x BW/LUNs per port and allow for significantly more configuration options together with future proofing for growth.

Can anyone shed any light on potential future VNX2 16GFC SLIC capability/roadmap?

Thanks in advance.

Russell

195 Posts

March 31st, 2015 07:00

I am looking for similar information (future availability of 16Gb for current VNX2 models).  The best news I have located is a press release from the introduction of the VNX2 line:

EMC unleashes the power of flash with next-generation VNX storage platforms | The SNS Tech Team Blog

In a bullet item, it mentions that the CPU and bus in the VNX2 SPs are 16Gb FC and 40GbE ready.  Which just means that there are sufficient PCI lanes to support what those parts would need.  The good news being that there isn't an engineering reason that they couldn't release one or both as options.

But that does not mean that EMC will definitely release those options, or if they do, when.  This years EMC World would be a nice time for them to issue some update though.

8.6K Posts

June 18th, 2015 11:00

16Gb FC for the VNX2 is on the near term roadmap – for the exact date you need to ask your local EMC or partner TC

195 Posts

September 28th, 2015 10:00

I thought that I would post back to this to say that I just recently received a quote for four port 16Gb FC I/O cards for a VNX2.

So 16Gb connectivity for VNX2 has, quietly, arrived.

8.6K Posts

September 29th, 2015 12:00

yes 16GB SLIC support released with VNX OE 8.1.8 in August 2015

No Events found!