Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2016 14:00

VNX2 SLIC install

Looking for guidance on installing a SLIC in a VNX2.  We have an FCoE card installed by default, and are adding a 4port FC card (to get SANcopy ability).  I have found good guides for replacing/upgrading cards, but I have not found good guidance on simply adding a SLIC to a system.  I know I added iSCSI slic's to a VNX5300 years ago, but I can't remember if I did it hot (with the system powered up) or if I shut it down to install, or if there was a reboot process for the heads that allowed me to do the installation.  The SolVe Desktop app doesn't give me a good indicator of what the process is if I'm just adding an additional SLIC.  Any suggestions?

8.6K Posts

April 18th, 2016 17:00

From the hardware installation guide:

For more information, refer to the Adding Storage Processor I/O modules and SFPs to the DPE document for the correct procedures to add an I/O module.

This procedure is available online at https://mydocs.emc.com/VNX/ and go to VNX tasks , then select Add VNX hardware.

Next, follow the steps in the wizard.

And yes – there is a USM wizard for it

130 Posts

April 18th, 2016 18:00

Adding to Rainer's comment, if you launch USM and follow the wizard to add a SLIC, it will guide you step by step.  And no, you don't have to power the array down.  As part of the commit, each SP will reboot, but only 1 at a time, so it is non disruptive.

1 Message

April 18th, 2016 20:00

I do have same problem

April 18th, 2016 20:00

Thanks guys! This is pretty much what I remembered but for the life of me couldn't find supporting documentation. Still not sure why the desktop procedure generator didn't find this for me.

8.6K Posts

April 19th, 2016 05:00

kiran2sasi wrote:

I do have same problem

then I would suggest to follow the same solution of generating the procedure via mydocs

June 7th, 2018 12:00

ok the answer to your question is:

"Yes, it is hot swapable, BUT you need to wait for the USM to prompt you for it to add or swap before you just go and do it"

The USM process will stop and pause at a certain point to let you know it's now time to do so.

No Events found!