Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

January 30th, 2019 03:00

VNX5300 Fibre fault

I've been given a VNX5300 along with 4 HP AD542C storage bays and asked to get them working and connected. I basically have no idea what I'm doing, was told they were set up and configured previously but we have no documentation, didn't know the IP, usernames, passwords, etc.

I've sucessfully managed to connect via the serial port, was able to create a new user and access the unisphere client. Under System -> Hardware -> SPs -> SP A/B -> CPU Module A/B -> Onboard IO Ports there are 6 ports listed. Ports 0 and 1 are the SAS (I think) ports and listed as enabled. Ports 2 through 5 are the 4 built in fibre channel ports and listed as missing. When I connect a fibre cable from the VNX5300 directly to one of my HP AD542Cs the state changes from missing to faulted. I've checked internally and can't immediately see any problems, I've tried a large number of alternative ports and cables as well with no luck.

I presume it's not as easy as just plugging in the fibre and having the HP boxes show up as additional storage but like I say I really have no idea what I'm doing with this. What should be my next steps to get this working? Ideally I'd connect the HP boxes over something that isn't fibre but they're the only cards we have available. Any suggestions on what the fault could be, and how I'd go about rectifying it? And if anyone has resources for how I'd go about wiping the existing VNX5300 back to stock with just a blank OS so I can start making new pools that'd be great too.

For reference, my host machine is running Windows 10. I'm connecting to the VNX5300 via a virtual machine. The VM is running Windows XP and I followed instructions here to get serial working on Win10. The XP VM is running some outdated versions of Firefox and Java as that's the only way I could get a connection via the serial port. I've tried updating software and installed Unisphere Service Manager to try and update the machine with no luck (connecting on 192.168.1.1 throws a "system no reachable or sertificate not validated error"

Any help would be really appreciated

EDIT: Alternatively are any other OS supported on the device or is it all proprietary? If I can get the hardware up and running but with a different OS then that'd work too

No Responses!
No Events found!