Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2014 13:00

VNX5300 and vSphere 5.0 Configuration

Hello all,

Recently my I purchased a VNX5300 for File for use with my vSphere 5.0 cluster. I'm not really sure how to explain this but basically I can't get the VNX and vSphere to connect to one another.

I have been reading several different articles on how to configure the VNX in vSphere using the VSI plugins. Under Storage Viewer I am able to discover my VNX in the "Block" section but in the "File" section I get an error:

Failed to discover the file side of the new VNX system. Error = Invalid storage configuration. There are no storage pools configured.

In the EMC Unisphere web interface I went to Storage > Storage Pools and created a pool using all disks (there is also a Storage Pools for File which I am unsure if I should use that instead?).

Next I went to Storage > LUNs and created a test LUN.

Finally I went to Hosts > Storage Groups and created a group named "VM Pool" which I assume is the pool that vSphere will be connecting to once I figure out how to add the hosts to this pool.

I have added a vSwitch in vSphere with an IP (192.168.15.50) that is on the same subnet that the VNX should be using for traffic (192.168.15.0/24). I am able to vmkping two of the four NICs on SP-A (a range of 192.168.15.2-15.5 i can ping 15.3 and 15.5).

vSphere, the Control Station management port, and both Storage Processor A and B management ports are on a different subnet (10.0.0.0/23) but I don't think that is causing issues.

I am extremely lost and any direction would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

April 25th, 2014 08:00

After doing some more digging it looks as if the VNX is only trying to connect using Fibre.

If I go to Hosts > Initiators to try to manually add my vSphere host I am only able to select Fibre SP ports. I do not see any sort of configuration options for iSCSI. I have found lots of articles referring to KB article emc245445 for iSCSI setup but am not able to find it by searching on support.

Is it even possible to use the VNX with iSCSI or has it been replaced with FCoE (which I've never dealt with)?

22 Posts

April 30th, 2014 08:00

bkrathwohl

I haven't configured anything thing like this, but by looking at your error i can suggest you one thing.

I think you haven't created a file pool. You have just created block pool and some luns on the block pool.

Click on "Storage Pools for file" on storage configuration section to check file pools exists or not. if it doesn't exists you have to create one.

Once you see the file pool was ready. Then go ahead and discover again from storage view to discover VNX.

Thanks

3 Posts

May 1st, 2014 02:00

Hello bkrathwohl,

In order to use VNX file by VSI, You must configure "storage pools for file".

There are few steps you have to do before creating the storage pools for file, Creating LUNs and assigning them to the celerra host under ~filestorage in storage group Unishpere section.

Please read this doc: Using Disk Provision wizard to create storage pool for file and file system within this pool

No Events found!