Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2016 13:00

VNX5600 - Upgrading Data Mover Module From 1GB To 10GB

Good afternoon,

I have a VNX5600 that currently has 1GB data mover module installed and running. We have purchased 10GB modules and would like to replace the 1GB modules with them. Is the process just to swap the 1GB for 10GB the "DME - Replace A Data Mover (Blade) Ultraflex I/O Module" procedure? Can I safely assume that the configuration will be re-applied during the swap? Is there a process in Unisphere Service Manager that walks through this?

If the procedure is not correct, can you please point me to the correct process?

Thank you in advance!

8.6K Posts

June 13th, 2016 15:00

Please see Solve Desktop for the current procedure

10 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. Do I just make use of the "Replace" option in the Solve Desktop? As if I was replacing a failed IO module?

8.6K Posts

You also need to keep in mind the rules for standby data movers

When in doubt I would suggest to work with EMC support directly through a service request

8.6K Posts

June 14th, 2016 05:00

No – replace means like for like

What you want is upgrade

169 Posts

June 14th, 2016 15:00

On Solve, you can see a procedure called "Upgrade/Downgrade/Remove Blade IO Module" that will be close to what you need. But anyway, this is what you need to do:

1) Identify the usage of 1gb (ethernet) module and plan for the modify to different interface or removal of CIFS Servers/ Replications if required

2) Delete the interfaces(s), virtual devices(s) if configured

3) Follow the solve procedure to remove and add the 10gb module on production DM(s) as well as standby

4) Reconfigure virtual devices/interfaces if removed via step 2

5) Add the interface back to cifs server/replication again if removed from step 1

10 Posts

June 17th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for all of the pointers guys. I found the "Upgrade/Downgrade/Remove Blade IO Module" in Solve and I think I am good to go.

It would appear that this can be done while the array continues to support CIFS. In other words, no downtime required if properly planned.

Also, is this available in USM?

100 Posts

September 20th, 2016 09:00

This is a late response and you probably have already completed this activity is supported online. Is that what you found out as well?

No Events found!