Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

2 Posts

April 28th, 2020 13:00

VNXe 1600 problem with faulty battery

Hello everyone. I have one issue. Actually, i have VNXe 1600 with SPB battery alert. After i change battery 5 times(5 new batteries) the problem is still there. After that i order and change whole SPB and the problem is still here. I think fw upgrade can fix it, but coz of fsulty component i cant do fw upgrade. Do you have any solution for this problem?

Thavnks in advanced

• 

7.1K Posts

April 29th, 2020 10:00

Hello VladimirDel17,

When you replaced your battery did your system start a battery test or no?  are you seeing the same error from both SP’s or are you seeing it just from one SP?  Did you double check to make sure that the connector that connects the battery to the SP motherboard is connected?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

April 29th, 2020 12:00

Hello Sam. First, thanks for the answer. 

i can see error just for one sp. We didnt check conector but we tried to change whole controler. and the problem is still there. After we did power cycle, SPB was without error for like 6 hours, and after  that error was still there. Do yoy have any solution? I guess something like forcing fw upgrade will help, but we cannot run it coz of faulty component.

Best regards

• 

7.1K Posts

April 29th, 2020 16:00

Hello VladimirDel17,

I would check using the other SP’s management to see if you are seeing the error as well.  I have seen in some cases that the error is only showing under a single SP’s management connection.  If that is the case, then you can restart unisphere management by going to your IP address/setup and select restart management on both SP’s.

May 31st, 2020 20:00

Hi Dell people,

I have the exact same vnxe1600 with the exact same problem. SPB is reporting a battery error. We replace the battery but the same error is present. We replaced the entire DPE and the same error is present. It does indeed appear to be firmware related. Have you any suggestions?

Trav

June 1st, 2020 02:00

Hi Dell,

As an aside, IP/setup doesn't exist on the vnxe1600 series. You can login to unisphere and reboot each controller however, that doesn't resolve the issue.

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2020 13:00

Hello LordFolken,

What is your current operating environment version that you are running?

June 1st, 2020 21:00

Hi Dell,

We are running 3.1.9.9570228 (Wed Nov 1 03:41:39 GMT+0800 2017) which as best I'm aware is the latest build.

Trav

• 

7.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2020 15:00

Hello Trav,

If you take SPB & put it in SPA slot does the issue follow the controller or stay with the slot?  I am thinking that they maybe an issue with the controller where the battery plugs in.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2021 02:00

Dear 

Please let me know how you manage to fix the problem if you found solution because i have the same exact case 

Many thanks

• 

8.7K Posts

August 18th, 2021 08:00

Hi,

So you have replaced the battery and the SP and it still is showing a battery fault? Is it is just one of the SPs that has the issue?

2 Posts

August 18th, 2021 09:00

Yes just one SPB the other one ok.

Many thanks for your instant response 

• 

8.7K Posts

August 18th, 2021 10:00

You can try reimaging through CLI To re-image an SP from CLI:

Note: SP that needs to be reimaged requires to reboot couple of times during this process. All services will failover and run on peer SP if it is in healthy state. If connected through SSH session, you may lose connectivity while SP is rebooting.

1. Connect to VNXe using SSH session (PuTTy) or serial port. If connecting through SSH, make sure you are connected to the right SP which you want to reimage.

2. Put the SP into service mode using the commands below.

·              svc_rescue_state -s

·              svc_shutdown -r

3. After the SP reboots into service mode use the following command to reimage.

svc_reimage -r

4. SP will reboot again and will be reimaged.

5. If SP is still in service mode, use the following commands to return to normal mode.

·              svc_rescue_state -c

·              svc_shutdown -r

1 Message

September 29th, 2021 01:00

Hello there,

Exactly the same problem here. Is there a way to force the firmware upgrade through CLI ? Or is it some catch-22 situation ?

Regards,

• 

7.1K Posts

September 29th, 2021 10:00

Hello philippevdm,

There is not a way to force the firmware through cli.

1 Message

February 18th, 2022 09:00

Hello, I also have vnxe1600 series device. have the same problem. I changed the battery, it still didn't work and only SPB gives an error. The SPA battery looks normal. I plug the SPA battery into the SPb. The SPb shows a malfunction again. I tried reimage, I changed the cmos batteries, but the problem is still the same. I also did it to reimage spa and spb, it still didn't work.
did anyone find a solution?

No Events found!