Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2011 04:00

VNXe Config Guide

Anyone got a VNXe config guide or details on network setup they could send me.

I am looking for how you document the Network Configuration.

My requirement is to provide iSCSI, CIFs and NFS on a VNXe3300 and replicate using Replication Manager and VNXe replicator.

I have read the docs but trying to work out if best to run iSCSI on one SP and CIFs/NFS on the other and what ports to use for replication etc... and how to make the ports highly available.

For a simple box it's seems very complicated unlike the VNX!

Thanks in advance.

66 Posts

October 18th, 2011 14:00

I have uploaded a link to the 'VNXe High Availability - Overview' White Paper in this Community:

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-12551

The link takes you to the White Paper itself which is actually located on the White Papers area of the VNXe Product Page emc.com/vnxesupport

Kind Regards

Graeme

57 Posts

October 18th, 2011 04:00

Hi Smarti

The Following configuration is only for ISCSI Configuration, so if you give me more details on the number of ports and the SP RAM details that i can help you better.

As per the configurations till now that I have suggested customer these are the common details out of them.

1. Create 2 ISCSI servers one on each SP. 
  2. Aggregate base ports on eth2 and eth3 on SP. 
  3. Connect the SPA ports to switch A and SPB ports to switch B 
  4. Create Lag group on Switch a with SPA ports only that is 2 ports in the same way create it on SPB. 
  5. Make the identical configuration on Switch A and B ports. 
  6. Enable fast ports on Switch A and B. 
  7. Create equal amount of LUNs on each SP as per the requirement. 
  8. Connect VMWare on switch A and B.

Now start the load balancing part on VMWare. 

1. Before migrating the VM to VNXe make sure you make a list of VM sorted as per the IOPS. 
  2. Then move all the even number of VMs to LUNs coming from SPA and Odd number of VM to SPB.

For a testing purpose reboot the following and check the access to LUNs:

Note: reboot the following component and wait for it to come up and then reboot the next on.

1. Switch A 
  2. Switch B 
  3. SPA 
  4. SPB 
  5. That’s all if all the tests are ok then your environment is setup perfectly.

If anything went wrong then I suggest then you can open a case with the VNXe technical support team to help you fixing the issue.

Thanks,

Rohan.

214 Posts

October 18th, 2011 05:00

Rohan,

Thanks for the reply, just what I'm looking for.

In my particular case I have a VNX3300 with 4 built in ports and one addition a 4 port card in each SP. I haven't actually got my hands on one yet. The storage is 21 x 600GB drives in one Pool with 1 hot spare.

The customer needs iSCSI intially for Physical and then RDM for VMware once the physical servers are migrated to VMware.

They also need NFS for VMware.

They also need CIFs.

Are two ports the maximum you can create in a LACP channel on VNX3300 or can you have more? The documentation is unclear as it mentions Eth2 and another port only.

My thinking if it's two ports only is to combine eth2 and eth6, eth3 and eth7, eth4 and eth8, eth5 and eth9 to make 4 lacp channels. Each channel can be assigned to iscsi, cifs, nfs and replication if possible. This is repeated on SPB.

I would then create two iscsi servers, one on each SP. And also Shared folder servers on each SP for CIFs access and NFS access.

How would you assign a LUN to each SP. I can't see where you do this in the VNXe demo. Would I have to create a seperate pool and access one pool via SPA and one Pool via SPB?

Thanks for your help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 18th, 2011 09:00

Hi Smarti,

Just to add to this, here are a few reference document (Whiate Papers) that might help:

I hope this helps...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 18th, 2011 10:00

There is another White Paper that provides an overview of high availability best pactices> It is available here:

EMC VNXe High Availability - Overview

214 Posts

Thanks Mikheff.

Unfortunately that HA paper seems to be EMC internal only. As a partner  where can I get access?

214 Posts

Mikheff,

The paper "Replicating VNXe iSCSI to VNX using Replication Manager 5.3.2 — Technical Notes" seems to have an error in the Appendix.

Where it has the iscsi server address IP1 on SPB I think that address should be 192.168.1.111. As thats the same as the shared folder address.

Was confusing me for a while!

How do you report things like that?

Thanks for the links.

214 Posts

October 18th, 2011 11:00

Thats correct.

57 Posts

Hi Smarti,

I think you are talking about this page 138.

Thanks,

Rohan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thanks for the feedback Smarti.

I can make sure that this is corrected in the documentation.

FYI, a moderator for this thread is in the process of posting the VNXe HA Overview document to this forum.

214 Posts

October 18th, 2011 15:00

Thats great,

1 Message

December 8th, 2011 10:00

I cannot save this document for future reference. Please remove the restriction

Joseph

No Events found!