Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 24th, 2011 07:00

What about the first 4 disks of the VNXe

I read on some blog that the first 4 disks of the EMC² VNXe are reserving some space for the VNX OE and vaulting purpose (PSL / Persistant Storage Layout or something). How should we deal with those disks ?

I know on a Clariion the first 5 disks should also not be used for disk intensive stuff... since the Flare is running on those and therefor there could be some performance impact.

But the VNXe has been built to address storage demands for SMB, but if we need to say to customers not to use the first 4 disks they will not be happy to buy extra disks.

Are there any recommendations regarding those first 4 disks ?

19 Posts

March 5th, 2015 13:00

AndreNunes,

Hello, the answer to your questions is yes. The VNXe will automatically take the space needed for the OS of the VNXe. You can note this by seeing when you try to add those disk to a storage pool with other disks the sizing will be less.

Lets say you have all 600GB SAS disks. the first RAID group will be created at around 480GB while the other 600GB disks will show around 560 GB.

Please note there will always be overhead on disk usage, but the first 4 vault disks will have more overhead to take in account for the OS

Best Regards,

Holton Jewkes

EMC TSE

19 Posts

AndreNunes,

Yes you can add all disks to same Storage Pool and it is actually recommended. The reason being is there will be more disks to stripe against increasing I/O. The VNXe will automatically set aside the proper space for the first 4 disks so it is safe to add more disks into that pool.\

Best Regards,

Holton Jewkes

Great Holton Jewkes, I'm ok with the overhead that will happening. My doubt is if can I add these 4 disks in the same pool of the others disks. Or, is needed create one separate Pool/RG for these 4 disks and other Pool for remaining disks?

And if is possible to put all disks on the same pool, will have penalty in performance of VNXe OE ?

No Events found!