Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2014 17:00

What is a "Personality Module"?

I'm new to EMC and network attached storage arrays.  I recently purchased n VNXe3150 and am trying to get it set up.

My enclosure has two SPs each with the optional 4-port "personality module".  Although the "personality modules" are referenced in several manuals, I can't seem to find a good description as to what they are, what they do, and how I should be utilizing them.  The best description I have seen is :

The ports are labeled e0, e1, e2, and e3 and are used for front-end connectivity.

Unfortunately "front-end connectivity" doesn't mean anything to me.  As I understand it these ports are not used by for data, and are not supposed to connect to the storage network.  I'm okay with that but it seems odd to me that there are 4 x 1-Gb/s ports that aren't utilized.

Can someone provide me with an explanation of what the "personality module" does, and what I would use it for?

Thanks!

33 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 00:00

Hello,

In addition to the existing 'base' ports on the array, the personality modules provide additional ports for data traffic. Like the base ports, the ports on the personality modules can be used for iSCSI, NFS and CIFS traffic.

However, in order to use the ports on the personality mode, you would need to commit them. This can be done on Unisphere System> System Health> Highlight DPE on the left tree > Commit IO Modules

personality module commit.jpg

Note: The button will be available only if there are uncommitted IO modules.

Thanks,

Shardul

No Events found!