Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2016 07:00

What is the definition of "Average Read Time" and "Average Write Time" for a LUN?

What is the definition of "Average Read Time" and "Average Write Time" for a LUN?

When calling the getlun command with the -readtime and -writetime flag, the documentation says this (Command Line Interface Reference for Block):

-readtime

Returns the cumulative read time in microseconds.

-writetime

Returns the cumulative write time in microseconds.

There is even a sample output:

naviseccli -h ss1_spa getlun 0 -readtime -writetime

Cumulative Read Time (microseconds): 87937

Cumulative Write Time (microseconds): 0

However, when running the command, I do not get the same output. I get an "Average" instead of a cumulative:

Average Read Time: 895296858

Average Write Time: 655934380

Does anybody knows the definition of those average values in this context?

Thanks,

Laurent.

4.5K Posts

April 21st, 2016 14:00

I believe those numbers are the total time for all the reads in a period of time. I believe the counters are 32-bit, so they would roll over after a certain amount of time. Analyzer uses these when calculating values for the LUN.

glen

30 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hi Glen,

What I'm trying to find is a defintiion. How is this value computed, and what is the unit. Microseconds? milliseconds? 100 ms? So far I have always assumed microseconds because the doc shows the output to be "cumulative time (microseconds)" but the output I see ("average read time") doesn't match the documentation.

Laurent.

4.5K Posts

April 25th, 2016 13:00

Are you running this against a Pool LUN or a raid group LUN? Found a note in the CLI guide:

If the target LUN is a pool LUN, we recommend that you use the storagepool -list command (see

storagepool -list on page 535) instead of the getlun command to return information about the pool

LUN.

glen

4.5K Posts

What version of Flare is running on the array?

glen

30 Posts

The Flare version is  05.32.000.5.215

30 Posts

Raid group LUN. I know that getting performance data about pool LUNs from the CLI needs to be a bit different but here I'm only worried about raid group LUNs.

4.5K Posts

April 26th, 2016 14:00

As far as I can determine the information in the CLI guide is accurate - the times are in microseconds.

glen

No Events found!