Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2012 06:00

What types of disks should I choose from when separating RLP and Data into different Storage Pools on a VNX?

Hi, Community!

I need some advice on how to configure SnapView on a brand-new VNX5700. There are NL SAS (130 total), SAS (87 total) and SATA Flash Drives (3 total) in this Array.

Also, I'm thinking about mixing both NL SAS and SAS on both RLP and Source LUN Pools in a 70% NL SAS/30% SAS fashion, basically based on how many disk of each type this Array has currently installed. SATA Flash Drives would be used only for the Source LUNs.

I'm assuming the more spindles we have in a Pool, the more performance we get; in the other hand, I'm also assuming it's recommended having Source LUNs and RLP into different Pools.

So what best case scenario could I get here?

70 Posts

January 4th, 2012 11:00

Silvaar

You have some reading to do. The Reserve LUN Pool and a Storage Pool are two very different features with different best practices. VNX Best Practice would be good place to start. Reserved LUNs from the RLP are used to support Copy on First Write activity from the "source" LUN. RLP does not support mixed tiers and while I suppose its possible to use both NL-SAS and SAS based RAID Groups it is not recommended. You don't get to pick which RLP LUN is assigned to which Source LUN. Use SAS for the RLP. If you are using FAST VP its okay to mix drive types in a storage pool. But be conservative on assigning capacity to  storage pool unless you are absolutely certain of your configuration, yes you get more IOPs by adding more spindles but once expanded a pool cannot be contracted.

regards

Bob

2 Posts

January 4th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for your feedback, Bob.

I might have expressed myself wrong, I'll try to redo the questions:

Should Reserved LUN Pool LUNs and Source LUNs be in different Storage Pools the same way it is recommended having RLP and Source LUNs configured into separate RAID Groups to avoid performance impacts?

And what if I create a Storage Pool (aware of the fact they cannot be then shrunk) with all available disks in this newly-configured VNX and then bind both LUNs to be used for Reserved LUN Pool and Source LUN in this very same Storage Pool? Would this be a good practice when Storage Pools are adopted, not RAID Groups?

As an additional information, Hot Spares are set by EMC based on best practices for each disk type, so it shouldn't be a concern here.

Regards.

70 Posts

January 4th, 2012 14:00

I suggest you read through the Best Practices Guides which have a wealth of information.There is a whitepaper available on SnapView that covers configuration issues

The RL's can be formed out of a pool but only as Thick LUNs and a homogeneous Pool or RG of SAS drives is recommended.

No, it would not be a good general practice to configure a single multi tiered pool. At the very least for the reason mentioned above. There are other factors which would also favor or even require multiple pools. ou could approach this with one small pool or RG with just SAS and then another larger tiered pool or you might want to consider two tiered pools one that incorporates a Flash tier and one that does not. You could then create all SAS Thick LUNs by selecting highest performance policy and then data movement at LUN creation.

No Events found!