Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2013 07:00

Windows share migration to CIFS

We are looking at migrating our Windows shares to CIFS shares.  Does anyone have any migration documentation or white papers they have found that could help?  Specifically, i am looking for a procedure to migrate the shares and keep the permissions already set.  Also, if there is any information regarding limitations.

Thank you!

32 Posts

July 16th, 2013 09:00

I use EMcopy for most of my CiFS share migrations. It maintains the rights and can be scheduled in say task manager to run frequently to keep the source and target in sync until a planned cut-over. It works just like robocopy, but I find it to be much faster.

Example of command:

emcopy '\\source_server\source_share'  '\\target_server\target_share' /o /s /d purge /stream /c /r:1 /w:1 /log+:log/share.log

You can easily find out what flags work best for you.

1.2K Posts

July 16th, 2013 10:00

You can download EMCopy and other Microsoft CIFS tools from the EMC Support site.  Search for "EMCopy" in the Downloads section.  Since share migrations are usually a (paid) Professional Services engagement, you won't find too many highly-detailed resources here.  Still, the EMCopy tool and other commands include a Readme file with command syntax.

The Readme file describes each of the flags you see Kenneth_Ray used above - you should study it carefully and test before using it.

8.6K Posts

July 16th, 2013 14:00

emmopy doesn't copy shares - it copies files and directories

sharedup copies shares

See the Windows Utilities for VNX manual

No Events found!