Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 19th, 2011 16:00

an intersting dos attack on a vnxe

Hi All

I have a hypothetical situation for a vnxe. Les assume the following.

1) you have a 12 drive system

2) you configure the system as a single shared folder, of type maximum capcity

3) you allocate all possible space to the shared folder, no thin provisioning, no data protection

4) you fill up the shared folder with data, till it is 98% full with 2% available ( this data has duplicated and is comrepssible and is composed of millions of different files)

5) now lets assume data-dedup and compression bring the used space down to 70% (30% is now available).

6) load up more data onto the shared folder bringing it up to 98% again (2% available)

Now the attack happens like this.

A user writes a program that scans the entire drive opening every file in binary rw mode, reads the contents of file in memory, then positions the file pointer to start of the file and re-writes the file to the vnxe.

My question is what happens to the vnxe and the data on it.

I suspect it will try and start to expand or undup files as it comes across. If this is the case at some point wont the vnxe not have any space, becasue the saved space was used by the additonal load of data.

Does the vnxe file system get trashed?

Do I loose my data?

What is the recovery process of such a situation?

Marco

15 Posts

December 20th, 2011 15:00

Hello,

The worst that can happen in any situation is a Filesystem full issue; meaning your users / applications will see a "no space left" error message;

The dedup+compression system running in VNXe and VNX is not "expanding / undup" files as you wrote, it's the writer that is writing the "expanded / unduped" data; and he is the one that will receive the "no space left" error message in your example;

Regards, Benoît

No Events found!