Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2015 15:00

cannot locate login credentials

Hi there:

How do I create a new user with admin role using naviseccli under Windows 7 ..?

Thanks

/Biju

2 Intern

• 

715 Posts

March 31st, 2015 15:00

naviseccli -h array-spa Security -adduser -user newusername -password newpassword -scope local -role administrator

change array-spa, new username and newpassword as you want.

29 Posts

April 1st, 2015 07:00

Hello Brett:

I am getting the following error message ..?

Error returned from the Management Server on 128.221.1.250

Authentication failed. Possible reasons for failure are invalid security file, invalid username, password and/or scope.

Tried on another system I was able to  run it ..

Thanks

/Biju

2 Intern

• 

715 Posts

April 1st, 2015 16:00

If the arrays are all part of the same domain, try creating a global account. Change the -scope to global.

The account you create should then work if you enter the credentials. 

4.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 11:00

What array are you trying to create a new user account on? Is this the Block or File part?

To create a new user account ON the array, you need to use the "security" command:

naviseccli -h xxx security -adduser

But this assumes that you already have an Administrator account on the array and that you have access to use this account with naviseccli. If you have an administrator account on the array, then you need to add a security file on your Win7 PC using the -addusersecurity command with CLI.

Get the current "VNX Command Line Interface (CLI) Reference Guide" from support.emc.com and review the chapter on "Domain and Security Commands". Check at the begining of the document "About CLI Commands" - it will explain in detail how to add the security file on your PC.

glen

29 Posts

Hello GLen:

It’s a block device and I am not able to locate the Administrator of this system and hence I am not sure if there is admin account already was created - but this sytem was already in use and I guess should be admin account already created. I will try naviseccli -h xxx security -adduser and let you know..

thanks

/Biju

4.5K Posts

If your Win7 PC was setup with the admin account -addusersecurity, then the commands should work. If not, you're out of luck and you'll have to reset the Domain Security to get rid of the existing user/passwords. There is a way to do this, but you will need physical access to the array and connect to the array using the Service Serial Port on the back of the array.

Search here in the forum for connecting to the serial port - the serial port allows you to log into the array without a password. That they allows you to use a browser to go to the setup page where you can destroy the Domain Security and all the user/passwords and start over.

glen

29 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 12:00

Hello Glen:

I am still getting the same error message...

Error returned from the Management Server on 128.221.1.250

Authentication failed. Possible reasons for failure are invalid security file, invalid username, password and/or scope.

Thanks

/Biju

4.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 13:00

You're using the Service LAN port to connect to - that still requires a valid username/password to log in.

If you do not have the valid username/password, then you'll need to use the SERIAL port on the back on the array to connect a PC using a serial cable and setup the PC to connection using a PPP connection. The serial port does not require a username/password as you need physical access to the array.

glen

1 Message

April 2nd, 2015 13:00

29 Posts

April 6th, 2015 14:00

Hello Glen:

Was able to connect using PPP conections  - but then trying to http://192.168.1.1/setup - its timing out..? I am able to ping 192.168.1.1

Please let me know else can I try ..?

Thanks

/Biju

2 Intern

• 

715 Posts

April 7th, 2015 06:00

Maybe try the other SP

4.5K Posts

April 10th, 2015 09:00

make sure your PC serial port is set to 115K baud

glen