Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2016 08:00

how to configure vnx 5400

My customer brought 2 vnx 5400 boxes.one for primary site and second DR site.now i installed this boxes and cabling completed.i did interface configuration.

i need to configure cifs server(100TB) and Block storage for fc servers(60TB).

i need to configure share folders for users.need to add domain and enable home folder.

Please tel me how to configure this are.

eg-first configure pool-->create VDM-->create file system-->create cifs server-->create cifs share.

If u can give steps like this.

1.2K Posts

April 27th, 2016 11:00

Your CIFS server needs to talk to your DNS server to join AD.  You'll need a default or static route to allow the CIFS server to talk to AD.  Can you check your routing information?

1.2K Posts

April 25th, 2016 09:00

Most of this is covered in the various EMC documentation.  You'll really need to read these documents to understand not only what to do, but why. You will also need to understand why, because your customer will probably ask this as well.  If you don't understand why, you should definitely reach out to your EMC Sales team in your region.  They can assist you to various degrees.

You have so many questions in your request, I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll start with the first things on top of my head.  First, if you're going to create user home directories, be sure to read up on the Home Directory service and its implementation.  This would allow you to automate the creation of user home directories, or at the very least, allow users to quickly and easily access them.  Similarly, creating VDMs and CIFS servers are also good ideas and should be reviewed in depth, to understand what the options are and what the impact of those options entails.  These are all covered in the document Configuring and Managing CIFS on VNX, on the EMC Support Site.

Next, since you didn't describe your disk layout, you should also review the Best Practices documentation before implementing LUNs for Block or File.  As a rule, you should generally provision LUNs for Block and LUNs for File from different storage pools.  These are covered in the document, EMC VNX2 Unified Best Practices for Performance.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

66 Posts

April 25th, 2016 09:00

KB articles read.i was tried to create storage pool under storage pool for file.but error coming no template.

plz forget block side.help to configure file side.what is the initial configuration. have 10x1.2tb sas and 48x4tb NL drives.

1 -need to create raid 4+1 for sas and 14+2 for NL sas ,mix raid

2-need to create vdm

3-need to create cifs server

4-need to create cifs share.

5-joing to domain

6-enable home folder for users

how to configure this requirements

1.2K Posts

April 25th, 2016 13:00

Unfortunately, you can't forget the Block side, if you're going to create a storage pool for Block.  You need to decide how many drives you need for the Block side and set them aside first.  After that, you can decide how many drives you have left for the File storage pool.

1)  Once you decide how many drives you will use for File (not including drives for Block), you can use the Disk Provisioning Wizard in Unisphere to build your File storage pool.  This is easier than using the CLI, which is where I think you're getting the "no template" error.  The last time I checked, I don't believe the Disk Provisioning Wizard will automatically create a Mixed Pool, so you might have to create a pool yourself.  Or, if you prefer creating standard RAID groups, you can also do so yourself.

2) You can create a VDM from the CLI or GUI, whichever is easiest for you.

2.5) You will need to create one or more network interfaces for your CIFS servers.  Depending on the number of network interfaces provided and customer requirements, you'll have to make some decisions in this space.

3) You can create a CIFS server from the CLI or GUI, whichever is easiest for you. During the creation of the CIFS server, you can specify one of the interfaces you've just created.

4) You can create a CIFS share from the CLI or GUI, whichever is easiest for you.

5) You can join a CIFS server to the domain using the CLI or GUI, whichever is easiest for you.

6) Have you reviewed the documentation in Configuring and Managing CIFS on VNX?  For some customers, this can save a great deal of time and simplifies the creation and management of user home directories.

66 Posts

April 26th, 2016 07:00

i had created storage pool(mix raid ) -->create lun-->lun add to storage group-->go to the storage pool for file-->re scan storage group-->crated VDM-->crate file system-->crate cifs server-->create cifs share.

This steps right or not?

66 Posts

April 26th, 2016 08:00

My vnx 5400 unified storage.

my mgmt network(CS) 10.x.x.x/24,using management only.(no internet,cant access lan network.)

i configured 10gig interfaces for cifs share access.

cifs server ip addres 172.x.x.x/16 LAN network.

my Domain server ip 172.x.x.x/16 LAN network.

I need to joing domain this box.

error popup---DNS connection fail.

Which interface need to connect DNS server.?

1.2K Posts

April 27th, 2016 11:00

Yes - that's correct!

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 14:00

@umichklewis perfect

2 Posts

June 26th, 2022 07:00

I have a VNX 5400.

I tried for days trying to troubleshoot. It's getting to a point not sure if its hardware or cannot find out why vnx is not active. It is staying offline. local San storage. 

Can someone list full steps to configure vnx5400

• 

7.1K Posts

June 27th, 2022 09:00

Hello zz11428,

Here is the link to the install guide as I would make sure that you are following the steps as listed in the guide. https://dell.to/3OowuRu

No Events found!