Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2012 01:00

network configuration in a directly attached storage design

Hi There,

I hope this is the right plcae to ask.

I'm currently planning our network desgin for a windows hyperv cluster, our store is a VNX5300. I have already read alot in the guides, best practices but I'm still not sure about our setup.

Actually our the logical desing would look like this:

emc_topology.jpg

Some explanations:

- servers are HP G6 Blades in a c7000 enclosure

- bladeswitchs are two virtual connect flex 10 Ethernet switch

- the VNX5300 has 10GbE iSCSI Modules installed

The most approachign desing I found, is a directly attached storage.

Due to the limitations of virtual connect (no Switch Based Loadbalancing) our design looks like if every port of the vnx's iSCSI Modules is connected to a seperate san switch.

My Questions:

1) Im not sure howto configure the subnetworks. My current plan is, to give each server/emc port pair a different subnet. For example:

node1_nic1, node2_nic1 and Port A0 uses subnet 10.30.0.0/24

node1_nic2, node2_nic2 and Port A1 uses subnet 10.30.1.0/24

Can MPIO or PowerPath handle such desgins?

2) Is it possible to team the ports on the vnx's side? THis would halve our needed networks.

3) This is a hyperv specific question, but perhaps someone knows an answer: Is it supported / arguable to put the vswitch over the nics that are used for the cluster's CSV? So I can use the nic for guest VMs on the node aswell as for the node's CSV.

Any further hints or tips are of course welcome

Thanks in advance

Malte

4.5K Posts

April 27th, 2012 14:00

NIC Teaming on the VNX side is not supported.

Best Practice recommends using different subnets when the host has multiple NICs (see Support Solution emc156408 on PowerLink). PowerPath should be able to handle the mulitple connections. Just set up the network and connections before installing PowerPath - make sure the network is stable first.

glen

2 Posts

April 30th, 2012 02:00

Thx Glen,

This helped me alot. Unfortunaly I now found out, that the provided PowerPath right to use certificate is limited to single host HBAs . So I have to use Microsoft's mpio for path redundancy.

Malte

4.5K Posts

April 30th, 2012 12:00

If you're using the Mircosoft iSCSI Initiator, be sure to look at the setup steps in the EMC Host Connectivity Guide on Powerlink. It's important to get the Login / Advanced setting correct or you will have connection issues later on.

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Host Connectivity/HBAs > Installation/Configuration

Also see emc245445 for a list of all the Support Solutions for iSCSI.

glen

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 26th, 2013 14:00

1 Message

July 26th, 2013 14:00

Hi,

How exactly would I find the documents using ID # ?

emc156408  &  emc245445

Thanks for your time.

Joshua

No Events found!