Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

July 13th, 2012 06:00

seems tree quota not working properly in VNX

Observed some strange things in VNX CIFS file system quota. Created tree quotas and migrated data from other old project shares. Found that we are able to copy more than what the quota settings are. For example, in a quota tree of 4GB hard limit we see that around 5GB of content has been accomodated. In quota tree usage is showing around 2GB means still 50% space is usable by project.

In another share, the tree quota limit is 150GB. amount of data migrated to this folder is 51GB but in Unisphere > File Systems > Tree Quota it is showing that 2.75GB is currently usage and 2% of storage currently used.

Is it deduplication effect or NAS quota is not working properly?  The file system size is below 4TB. One is 3.9TB another 3 TB.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2012 08:00

i am trying to remember but i believe there was an option on VNX to force "re-calc" process on a tree quota ? Can you find it ?

275 Posts

July 13th, 2012 09:00

This is now an option of the nas_quotas command

Claude

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2012 09:00

Nas_quotas –check ?

59 Posts

July 13th, 2012 10:00

Back in Dart 5.x it was the following.....

.server_config DataMover -v "file quota /volumepath type=tree check path=/QtreeName"

WARNING - Quota recalculations WILL disrupt operations to the file system until the operation finishes which could take hours depending on the amount of data. CIFS clients are disconnected during these events and NFS clients receive a message that the server is not responding.

Unsure if changed since then

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2012 11:00

i used that process on 5.6 twice, once it ran fine, second time completely hosed my file system, had to reboot my datamover. Now supposedly it can do it online.

nas_quotas -check -start [-mode online|offline]

66 Posts

July 16th, 2012 23:00

Yeah, Dynamox done that.

nas_quotas -check -start -mode online -tree -fs fs_name -path /path/to/folder

checked that from CLI using

nas_quotas -report -tree -fs fs_name

Things remain same. Beside this, i have created a test tree quota of 2GB and put a 27MB PDF files multiple times unless it reach the hard limit. Waited for dedup scan to complete couple of time. But here we see no space saving. It still shows the total size of all files. How do i know that dudup is working correclty. Is there any error in my test?

674 Posts

July 17th, 2012 03:00

Please check the dedup manual.

Depending on your configuration, there are two possibilities:

• quota.policy = blocks (every file counts as 8 KB against the quota)
  • quota.policy = filesize (every files counts with its filesize against the quota)

But:

There is no way to get the dedup savings reflected in the quota!

8.6K Posts

July 17th, 2012 04:00

You should see the a deduplicated file as compressed in Windows properties though

66 Posts

July 17th, 2012 05:00

You are spot on, Peter. Got the Primus article emc232533 talking about it. The quota.policy has been changed to 'filesize' and awaiting a DM reboot in offhours. Will check and update on this shortly

66 Posts

July 17th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Rainer. Just to update rebooted the DM and checked running -check and -report parameters for nas_quotas. Now it is showing the quota information correcly.

8.6K Posts

July 17th, 2012 08:00

You dont need the knowledgebase for that – both the deduplication and the quota manuals mention the quota policy parameter and its setting

No Events found!