Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2011 12:00

twinax cables on VNXe

Anyone know if twinax cables can be used in the VNXe 10Gbps module to connect to a Nexus 7000?  i know in theory it should work, but i can't find any docs that tell me so. 

November 9th, 2011 13:00

So, the 10Gbps modules are SFP+.  Twinax cables (that include the transceivers) can be used in the SFP+ housing as they are part of the SFP+ multi source agreement.  Not sure an RPQ is the best route for this as we are dealing with standards.  perhaps if i ask the question as "is anyone using twinax cables to connect 10Gbps to Nexus 7000 switch?"

8.6K Posts

The VNXe only has optical 10 Gbit interfaces in the ordering system.

You could try to ask via RPQ if you need TwinAX

8.6K Posts

An RPQ (if approved) would give you official support

If you just replace the optical SFP’s with twinAX and have problems then EMC support can ask you to change the system back to a supported config.

Compatibility isn’t just standards – its also testing and support

Plus the optical SFP’s are part of the system and covered by support in terms of spares.

November 10th, 2011 05:00

Not trying to be a jerk, but if the SFP+ modules used in the EMC arrays are SFF-8431 compliant, then there should be no question as to interoperability nor a need for an RPQ.  Following your logic, then we should be submitting RPQs for changing an optic from a Cisco to an HP one, which makes absolutely no sense. 

2 Posts

December 21st, 2012 04:00

Any update on this one? Having the same issue... Thanks!

9 Posts

February 8th, 2013 18:00

Yes, any update on this.  I have the same question too.  Really would like to know or see it stated that the transceivers can be removed and Twinax cable could be used.  THANKS!

8.6K Posts

February 11th, 2013 01:00

you will not see that stated

its sold as optical interfaces - not as cards and SFP's seperately

as we dont sell a twinax option on the VNXe this combination wouldnt be tested

apart from any technical aspects and testing there is also the hardware maintenance side - the EMC database lists your system with optical interfaces so on a HW replacement you will get optical again and not twinax

so please use the proper route for a config expection - which is an RPQ

4.5K Posts

February 11th, 2013 13:00

The SFP's that EMC provides with the optical interfaces (10Gb or FC) or as replacements are specifically tested to meet our requirements for compatibility. There have been many instances were a non-compatible SFP (one meeting the SFP+ standard) was used and it would not work reliability. That's why we recommend that you only use EMC SFP's on the EMC interfaces.

As to the TwinX cable, that is only supported on the FCoE interfaces, not the 10Gb interfaces.

glen

November 19th, 2015 13:00

Is anyone using twinax cables to connect VNXe 3200 10Gbps to Nexus 3524 switch?

Part Number of twinax cables are: V32SFP-TWAX-3M

When implementers do that, the switch transmission recognizes as 40Gb not 10Gb.

Does anyone have information or know about special configuration for this?.

Thanks.

No Events found!