Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2016 08:00

vVNX and SMI-S provider - Documentation

I understand that vVNX is similar to VNXe in many ways. It also sounds like vVNX is supplied with an onboard 1.6 SMI-S provider.

Does anyone have any detailed information or links to documentation for the SMI-S implementation on a vVNX appliance?

Does this appliance include the SMI-S Provider for block and file?

I am an EMC employee trying to build an EHC lab which is a very complicated hybrid cloud environment with many components, and this vVNX appliance would be ideal for lab use and testing, but EHC requires the following:

1. Supported storage platform (VNX, VPLEX, Isilon, XtremIO, VMAX, etc)

2. SMI-S provider (assuming 1.5)

3. ViPR 2.3

and many others..

I have also read on this forum about the person who attempted to add vVNX to ViPR without success due to ViPR's 1.5 SMI-S support while vVNX has SMI-S Provider 1.6...

But I am at the initial stage where I know very little about SMI-S and am reading the VNXe SMI-S Programmers' Guide now, however it seems to be geared more toward developer and not so much user admin level like myself.

Is there any specific documentation or instruction anyone can provide? Or even links to Engineering resources like Wiki's or something which can help to educate me on vVNX and SMI-S for VNXe/vVNX?

I have already read all the documentation that comes with the vVNX appliance.

Also, if ViPR with 1.5 can't work with vVNX with 1.6 then would there be a way to hack on older provider 1.5 onto the appliance, or are there any older versions of vVNX available for download which included 1.5?

I just need to learn all I can about this in order to understand whether this virtual appliance will work for my EHC lab.. If not, then I need to find something else like the virtual VPLEX, or the VNX File Simulator or something, since whatever storage I use it would be a deal breaker for cloud services without SMI-S working.

8.6K Posts

January 16th, 2016 09:00

Hi Oliver,

as an EMC Employee I would suggest to ask in the EMC internal forum at https://inside.emc.com/community/active/gpp/emsd/unified

Rainer

11 Posts

January 18th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for the suggestion! I will pursue that avenue as well..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 12th, 2016 23:00

Oliver...

I'm in exactly the same position as you, I'm about to build out an EHC type Lab and I've been informed that ViPR/vVNX  should work - but the ViPR/SMI-S/vVNX integration seems to be in question .

Were you able to get your Lab working...?

I've been scouring the community pages and came across this article: -

vVNX and SMI-S access

If vVNX (SMI-S v1.6) is able to comms with SMI-S 4.6.2.9 (v1.5) then there's a good chance that ViPR integration would be possible.

No Events found!