Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 6th, 2016 20:00

Convert VPLEX Distributed Volume to Local

Is there a procedure for converting a distributed volume on VPLEX to a local volume on one site without downtime?

286 Posts

May 9th, 2016 06:00

I did post a video on this procedure, hope it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC19TJyiM3E

522 Posts

May 9th, 2016 06:00

Have you looked at the "detach-mirror" and "device-collapse" commands? Detaching the mirror you no longer want will convert it into a localized volume where you might need to edit some of the names, but will only be comprised of one leg. The "device-collapse" command will assist here in removing the layer of abstraction left over from the detach. You might need to remove remote access if global visibility is enabled, but otherwise those commands should do the trick.

You could also present a net-new volume to the VPLEX and do an extent migration from the DR1 to the new Local volume as well I believe.

522 Posts

May 9th, 2016 07:00

good stuff...I didn't even notice that. Thanks Ankur!

27 Posts

May 9th, 2016 08:00

Thanks!

64 Posts

December 11th, 2018 11:00

Hi ankur.patel

what's still not clear to me:

Why do i have to remove access to the Virtual Volume from the Hosts on the DR site?

As long as the Virtual Volume will stay "Remote Access enabled", it will not make a change to the ESXi host except removing some paths to the datastore, right?

December 11th, 2018 12:00

Hi Alex,

The Host/datastore sees the virtua-volume from the front-end of VPlex and the naming / number of paths to that datastore doesn't change. You don't have to remove access and the Hosts /datastore will not loose any paths. All that you need to do is a detach-mirror. The hosts might not loose access. But, this will show the volume as major failure for the raid-1 leg.

If you wanted this to be a clean process and if host is ok to loose access temporarily, Please follow the video.

Thanks,

Sathya

No Events found!