Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2016 01:00

Leap-Second Patch ETA 490557

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what it happening with this patch. The ETA mentions having to install a patch on VPLEX Management servers so that there are no issues with the Leap Second this coming new year. I have already installed this on 2 customer sites, but right now the patch is not available for download any more. I heard from EMC that it is currently being revised and updated.

What needs to be done?

There was a v2 of the patch, which I installed at one customer's site. Worked OK, but I had to change the root password using EMC scripts. Then v4 came out last week, and did not require entering or changing the root password. That worked, too. Now account managers from EMC are writing to our customers and saying that the next version should be released on Friday and it needs to be installed before Dec. 30th.

Friday is cutting it very fine (day before Christmas Eve), as a lot of customers are going on vacation over Christmas and New Year and may not have anyone available to install any new patch.

Are we safe if we've already installed the package from the earlier versions of the leap-second patch from December 2016?

Thanks and regards,

Stephen

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 00:00

Another Update. The patch is now available for download.

https://support.emc.com/products/29264_VPLEX-VS2/Tools/

Filename: Leapsecond2016_v9.zip

Unzip the file, scp the tgz file to the /tmp folder on each Managment server and follow the install guide included.

Done in about 10 seconds on each cluster.

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 01:00

EMC just contacted me. Looks like there is a recent KB article https://support.emc.com/kb/493721

There was a bug in the previous versions of the script, and v9 will be out shortly and must be installed, even if previous versions were already installed.

522 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 05:00

Hi Stephen,

Thank you very much for sharing your response from EMC on this board - this is what collaboration is all about. I had customers run this prior when the ETA went out, but EMC hasn't proactively contacted any of them for the ETA or this critical update so this goes to show how powerful this board can be with sharing info (and maybe how weak the proactive communicaiton is on the other end ). Just wanted to send a note of thanks (probably on behalf of others that subscribe to this as well!)

-Keith

31 Posts

January 4th, 2017 12:00

Is there anything that needs to be done after running the leap second script to disable leap second?

README_v9 does not state anything about disabling the leap second.

Email from Management:

Disable script since year second has passed.

Any advise on proper procedure to disable the Leap Second is appreciated.

31 Posts

January 4th, 2017 13:00

Thank you for clarification. I will pass this information to my manager when he returns from vacation tomorrow.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 4th, 2017 13:00

Hi,

There is no need to disable the script as slew mode will be turned on automatically prior to the next leap second. Per ETA 490557:

• The new script, once installed, has the following high level design:
    • EVERY June 30th, and December 31st, VPLEX will enable SLEW mode for the 24 hours leading up to the potential leap second event, and disable the slew mode starting 12 hours after the event.
  • Leap seconds will be inserted during these times, and will be announced 6 months ahead of time. This design requires no changes going forward.
  • The script schedules checks every hour, for protection against the unlikely instance when the initial check is missed due to a director reboot. Typically, this means SLEW mode will be enabled 24 hours before, and disabled 12 hours after.

If you have any further questions, please do open an SR with VPLEX Support.

Thanks,

Josh

No Events found!