Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2014 09:00

VPLEX - Frontend|Backend connectivity

Hey All ,

I'm new to VPLEX , I'm unable to find any basic guide for it , could you please share the link .

I was looking up the architecture and I'm confused with the connectivity part .

*****************************************************************************************************

A simple question .

Lets consider I have 2 vnx8k boxes and 2 mds 9513 switches  . I want a brief idea how these are put together i.e. the hosts /switches/storage arrays /vplex .

• Vplex backend to Vnx8k boxes ---  the backend ports of the vplex directly connected to the vnx storage ports ? or do we use an external switch here ? are these switches used only for the vplex to array connectivity ?
  • Vplex frontend to host connectivity - front end ports are connected the san switiches  ?
  • Or are the front/backend ports both connected to the same san switch and zoning is performed to acquire the set up we need ? Let say (vplex backend port - vnx port) one zone | (vplex frontend port - host ) another zone .

Regards

AE

27 Posts

July 8th, 2014 11:00

Hi,

There's a bit more to FE/BE connectivity than physical connectivity.  I suggest you take a look at the https://support.emc.com/docu9765_Technical_Notes:_Implementation_and_Planning_Best_Practices_for_EMC_VPLEX.pdf

There is a lot of very good and important information in that document.

Thanks,

Andrew

286 Posts

July 8th, 2014 10:00

you split half the FE ports and half the BE between the 2 SAN A/B

thanks ankur , I'm clear now .

28 Posts

Asceticenergy,

Attached is a pdf that should help out. Let me know if it is useful.

1 Attachment

That was helpful thank you T-bobk .

From the diagram I can understand that the vplex frontend / backend ports are connected to  the same  SAN switch  and zoning should be done as shown below ,

i.e Vplex FronEnd zoned to Hosts

Vplex BackEnd zoned to Storage arrays .

Did I get it right ?

I have two MDS 9513 (SAN A\SAN B), so the vplex front/backend will sit on this very switch rt ?

July 8th, 2014 12:00

Thanks Andrew , this doc is exactly what I need .

No Events found!