Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2014 12:00

Which VAAI command in latest VPLEX ?

Hello,

It's not clear for me which VAAI commands are support by the latest VPLEX Metro (5.2. SP1 P1).

WriteSame is mentionned for release 5.2.P1 https://support.emc.com/docu48041_VPLEX_with_GeoSynchrony_5.2_Patch_1_Release_Notes.pdf?language=en_US

ATS (or CAW) in 5.1 :https://support.emc.com/docu40034_VPLEX_GeoSynchrony_Release_5.1_and_Patches_Release_Notes.pdf?language=en_US

But what about XCOPY?

If we use 1-1 devices in the VPLEX and the storage backaned array (ex VNX) supports all the VAAI commands, will VPLEX just pass-on the VAAI commands?

Thanks,

Francis

286 Posts

February 19th, 2014 13:00

Right now only WRITE SAME and ATS are supported. XCOPY and UNMAP are not. WRITE SAME is passed through to the backend array if possible. I am not entirely sure about ATS though.

30 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply! I suppose this is not the place to ask when XCOPY will be supported.

286 Posts

Sure thing! Yeah--something for your EMC rep to ask VPLEX Product Mgmt about.

89 Posts

February 19th, 2014 14:00

ATS has been supported since GeoSynchrony 5.1.

WriteSame has been supported since GeoSynchrony 5.2.

XCOPY is planned for GeoSynchrony 5.3.

> If we use 1-1 devices in the VPLEX and the storage backaned array (ex VNX) supports all the VAAI commands, will VPLEX just pass-on the VAAI commands?

• VPLEX will pass along WriteSame commands when possible via the device layout, and if the back-end storage-array(s) supports VAAI WriteSame.  Basically it tries it's best to utilize the array's writesame capabilities. If it cannot, the writesame becomes a write of zeros of the same size.
  • ATS commands are handled just like a normal read/write.
  • (No comment on XCOPY, yet...)

Gary

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 6th, 2014 01:00

Offload copy overhead with XCOPY (Please see the docu52646 VPlex administration guide for more detail)

To minimize I/O overhead and maximize performance on copy operations, data movement should occur as close to the physical storage layer as possible, rather than at the server layer (as in host-based data copies).

Utilizing VMWare’s XCOPY feature, VPLEX manages data allocation and placement using virtual machines, copying data with minimal performance impact on the host. When XCOPY is enabled, on-disk data copy and moveoperations occur on the storage-array, not on the host. Enable xCopy at the cluster or view level using the VPLEX vCenter GUI. See the Management Server Online Help for details.

89 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 00:00

Update:  XCOPY support has been released with GeoSynchrony 5.3.

Gary

No Events found!