Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2014 02:00

how to migrate data thru VPLEX by setting up mirror between source and target array?

how to migrate data from VMAX to VNX using VPLEX by setting up a mirror between source array (VMAX) and target array (VNX).  After one week we need to detach the source array (VMAX).  This would be the cutover for our migration.

57 Posts

June 10th, 2014 05:00

Why not use VPlex's mobility functionality?

Sent from my iPhone

10 Posts

June 10th, 2014 05:00

Client would like to keep the data in both source and target for one week and then discard source.  Data mobility, i think, would move the data immediately to the target and not keep in source.

Thanks

Wiproo

57 Posts

June 10th, 2014 06:00

Just don't commit. Once the mobility job is established and they are 100% in sync your maintaining your mirrors until broken when you run the commit command (graphical or CLI). IO will continue to go to both devices. Once your customer is comfortable, after a week commit jobs or you could cancel the job(s) and maintain the original devices

Sent from my iPhone

57 Posts

Device

10 Posts

That's a good idea.

My setup is Vplex local.  Which migration is best to do extent or device ?

Thanks

Kannadasan

10 Posts

June 10th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for your help.

I will keep asking questions till we migrate one server.

Thanks

Wiproo

1 Message

June 14th, 2014 22:00

can we not use a device attach-mirror which would start a transfer for a rebuild?

and after the data is no longer needed, do a detach-mirror.

57 Posts

June 15th, 2014 05:00

Yes

Sent from my iPhone

10 Posts

June 16th, 2014 01:00

If my device is a RAID -1 mirror, my source leg is VMAX and target is VNX, I need to keep the mirror attached at all time.  I wont be able to detach the mirror in RAID-1 configuration.  How is this possible for RAID-1 device ?

How can i do the cutover ?

Thanks

Kannadasan

57 Posts

June 16th, 2014 04:00

And there lies your issue. In VPlex we support 2-leg mirror devices. Mobility is your answer. Remember commit when your customer is ready. Until you commit you are maintaining both source and target devices.

Sent from my iPad

10 Posts

June 19th, 2014 02:00

Hi,

Are there any special consideration for boot from SAN LUNs while doing encapsulation ?

Thanks

Kannadasan

57 Posts

June 19th, 2014 05:00

None other than make sure you have done server remediation (emcreport or emc grab utilities and run thru San advisor http://support.emc.com lower left link).

Also ensure you have read the server config guide for your OS.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

10 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 06:00

Hi Steve,

When i present my target (vnx) LUN to Vplex, and i start creating extents and devices, Should i not have to create virtual volume if i have to migrate data onto this device ?

Thanks

Kannadasan

27 Posts

The target device or extent for a migration job should not have anything created upon it.

So for a target device, you must not have a virtual volume on it.  For a target extent, it must not have a device created upon it.

In reading this thread, I do want to point out that the Mobility Jobs were designed to do all the work of the attach/detach mirror for you.  As previously pointed out the mirror is maintained until you commit or cancel the migration.  So both the source and target are kept in sync once they have synchronized until you either commit or cancel the migration.

If you commit the migration, the source leg of the mirror is removed.  If you cancel, the target leg is removed.

All of this can be done manually, but it is completely unnecessary.  And though VPLEX supports only a two leg RAID-1.  VPLEX also allows you to create devices from devices, so you can still have a three or four leg RAID-1.  You can do this by creating a RAID-1 (two legs) and then attaching either another device or extent.  If the attached device is a RAID-1 then you end up with essentially a 4 way mirror.

When you are doing a mobility job, take a look at the device topology diagram in the GUI while it is in progress or waiting to be commited.  You'll see the relationship of all the mirror legs during the process.

I hope that all makes sense.

10 Posts

So virtual volume created during encapsulation process will be the final virtual volume hosts will see after the migration?

Am i correct ?

Thanks

Kannadasan

No Events found!