Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2017 19:00

Filecounts on eNAS/VDM filesystems

I upgraded SRM to 4.0.1 a few months ago, and one of the things that appears to have been disabled is the file count of each filesystem.

I"ve been looking & trying to figure out how to re-enable this functionality, and so far it has eluded me.

I've tried searching this forum & google and I can't find any information about this.  This was good (great?!) information to have as part of our reports.  Now that its no longer there, we have to run a bunch of find commands from the CS and wait.

I've lost the ability to easily report to management & business the number of files in a filesystem.

Would someone be able to point me to directions to re-enable this, or tell me a way to get this information into SRM ?

Thanks,

Scott

141 Posts

August 24th, 2017 08:00

I took a second look and noticed that one of the filter excludes the FilesTotal and FilesUsed metrics.

You can go to edit mode and browser to Capacity node (EMC VNX -> Inventory -> File Components -> File Systems -> device,part -> Capacity) and right click on the filter and select Extend (or) with and expression as shown below:

EditVNXCapacity.PNG.png

and add the following: name='Files%'

so that it looks like this:

EditVNXCapacityWithFiles.PNG.png

save and go back to browse mode and you should now see the report

141 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 06:00

Hi scott_k72,

Could you tell me what version you upgraded from ?

Also do you remember the path of the report or name of the metric you are referring to ?

I did a quick search trough the metrics list in 3.7.2, 4.0.1 & 4.1 and found a FilesTotal metric in the VNX SolutionPack, this metrics appears to be working correctly in all three versions; however i have not noticed anything similar in other SolutionPacks.

regards,

Isaka

11 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 14:00

Isaka,

I believe we upgraded from 3.7.2 to 4.0.01

SRM about screen shows this currently:

• EMC ViPR SRM 4.0u2 - 3225
  • EMC M&R 6.7u5 - 67725

SRM Is monitoring Unified VNXs and VMAX3 w/ eNAS.  We have the VNX Solution Pack installed & enabled.

In 3.7.2 there were screens for each VNX & eNAS filesystem that showed the total number of files & the count of files.  Post upgrade those screens are nowhere to be found.

I am running:

"SolutionPack for EMC VNX; version 4.0.1.0"

The previous solution pack version is:

"SolutionPack for EMC VNX; version 3.7.1.0"

Scott

141 Posts

August 24th, 2017 07:00

Hi scott_k72,

Looks like you are referring to the Files(Nb) report under All>>EMC VNX>>Details>>NAS Systems (All Reports)>>NAS Systems Overview>>serialnb>>File Systems>>part>>Files (Nb) (path in edit mode)

I have found the same report under All>>EMC VNX>>Inventory>>File Components>>File Systems>>device,part>>Capacity>>Files (Nb) (path in edit mode) in both my 4.0u2 & 4.1 labs; however the display policy is set to hide if no variable is selected or if the node is a leaf... in other words the report will be hidden if we are not getting any data that matches the filter.

I setup a few arrays in my lab and although i do get values for FilesTotal and FilesUsed they do not match the filter in the report; i haven't had a chance to investigate this in dept, i would recommend that you open a service request with support in order to troubleshoot this further.

regards,

Isaka

11 Posts

August 24th, 2017 11:00

That worked for me.

I now can see/find the number of files in each filesystem - both on VNX & eNAS on VMAX3.

Thank you!

Scott

11 Posts

October 27th, 2017 06:00

After upgrading to SRM V4.1.1 last night, I had to reference this article again to show the Number of Files.

I also made a change, so that the leaf node for "Files (Nb) -> Files Total (Nb)" and checked the box for "in reports"

Now, when I navigate to the Filesystems report, I see the Number of files in use only (vs the max inode limit of each filesystem)

141 Posts

October 30th, 2017 10:00

Hi scott_k72,

I think think that you should be looking at the Quota report (Report Library -> EMC VNX -> Inventory -> File Components -> Quotas) to see the FileHardLimitCount metric

Regards,

Isaka

No Events found!