Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2014 07:00

Is there documentation on NetApp functionality available through ViPR

Is there any documentation that details exactly what NetApp filer fucntionality can be accessed through the ViPR Controller ? I am interested to see exactly what functionality I could drive from ViPR and what I may still need to do natively on the NetApp

92 Posts

June 26th, 2014 06:00

Thanks very much for your question.  I don't believe the documentation specifically spells this out but I will take a good hard look and make the documentation team aware of this.  On the NetApp side we only support file and not block provisioning.  The Service catalog/API/CLI in ViPR does support many provisioning options like creating NFS/CIFS exports, snapshots, etc...  Could you please let us know what other functions and or use cases your organization utilizes on a regular basis so we can make sure to put it on the road-map if it isn't already?

92 Posts

July 24th, 2014 13:00

I have asked the documentation team to look into creating a chart that maps the different array types to what functions we support in ViPR.  I have also attached links to all of the ViPR documentation and a specific NetApp document. I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for but should hopefully shed some light.  Please let me know if there is anything else we can do. 

http://www.emc.com/techpubs/vipr/ui_add_storage_netapp-1.htm

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-35557

11 Posts

July 25th, 2014 07:00

I'm also interested in documentation or recommended approaches on how to migrate NetApp file to Isilon if both resources are behind the controller. I've seen some stuff around block migration utilizing VPLEX but can't find anything for file so I'm assuming this is a manual process on the back end.?

Sorry for the piggyback but I'm unable to create a new post for some reason.

92 Posts

July 28th, 2014 08:00

No problem.  We don't have automatic file migration built into ViPR today.  (NetApp -> Isilon)  You would have to do this manually today.  

11 Posts

July 28th, 2014 09:00

Thanks.

What about the CTA?

Could this be a recommended approach?

Any thoughts on something like this integrating later down the road on the road map?

11 Posts

July 28th, 2014 09:00

Hello Andrew,

I think we should be able to help here, with our Storfirst Migration solution. EMC and Seven10 have been partnered for over a decade and our Storfirst solution is engineered with Centera, Atmos, Isilon and ViPR in mind. Storfirst is a 100% virtual product that is loaded on to a physical or virtual server, that is integrated into ViPR ODS and is best suited for file migrations - whether it be from NetApp, HP, IBM, you name it.

Perhaps you would like to review some literature or hop on the phone? Please let me know, as this looks to be an area we can help you.

Thanks,

Derick Smith

Seven10 Storage

www.Seven10Storage.com

11 Posts

July 28th, 2014 10:00

Hi Derick,

I'd love to see more on the ViPR integration. Can we show it as part of the portal to enable behind the scenes migration from NetApp to Isilon (and vice versa if necessary)? Does this require ViPR object data services with the back end on Isilon or NetApp or can this be done with ViPR Controller? Can you email to me something on that?

Thanks.

No Events found!