Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2013 07:00

ViPR : software appliance for Installation

Hi,

Where can I get the software appliance of ViPR [image format, Live CD] to install it on physical machines or multiple types of virtual machines? What is the procedure to get the license for it?

Thanks.

233 Posts

November 14th, 2013 02:00

Have a read of https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-28074 to find out where to download the software and https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-28092 for ViPR Licensing Information

211 Posts

November 13th, 2013 07:00

Wild guess, go to support.emc.com > Downloads. I think you can and may use it as trial for 60 days. I am not completely sure on that

November 13th, 2013 21:00

Firstly, welcome to the forums, and above all, thank you for being an EMC customer.

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "ViPR Support Forum".

ViPR Support Forum

November 15th, 2013 05:00

Thanks Roy, Christopher & Conor.

I started with the installation of ViPR and need info on below queries:

1. When I try installing OVF of ViPR dataservice at ESX 5.1.0, it ask me config.iso. But this ISO is not part of installer package. Where do I get this ISO?

2. And, when I try installing OVA file of ViPR controller (vipr-1.0.0.7.1065-controller-3+2) on ESX 5.1.0 with thin provisioning, at the last page I need to manually configure IP addresses. Is there a proper documentation where it is mentioned how to configure it.

Thanks.

233 Posts

November 15th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

1. Before installing the ViPR data service the ViPR controller needs to be installed and running correctly.

Admin -> Data Services within this UI is where you chooses the IP network for the Data Service (Admin -> System -> Configuration under Configuration Properties -> Data Services is where the IP is added) and Under Data Services Configuration it shows 3 steps under step 2 is where you can download the config.iso from the UI that is used at deployment

Admin -> System -> Configuration UI

DataServicesConfig.png

Admin -> Data Services UI

configiso.png

2. All the required information is in the ViPR 1.0 Installation and Configuration Guide which describes the prerequisites and step-by-step procedures for deploying and configuring ViPR Controller and Object Data Service. Download from here   https://support.emc.com/products/32034_ViPR/Documentation/

Regards

Conor

233 Posts

November 20th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Did you get ViPR deployed successfully?

Regards

Conor

November 25th, 2013 22:00

Hi Conor,

I was arranging the hardware requires for ViPR till now. I will start installing ViPR Controller in next 1-2 days. I will revert back here, in case I face any issue further. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Sachin

472 Posts

November 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

I cannot say for certain if the OVF deployment will work with that hardware spec as it is unlikely to have been tested in an EMC lab.  If ViPR is only being installed in your lab environment, you should go ahead and try it anyway.  If it fails, you will have to find a higher spec ESX.

For a production environment, we obviously recommend meeting the minimum requirements as per the documentation.

Regards,

Seamus Coffey

EMC Customer Service

November 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi Conor,

As per Data Sheet and Compatibility Matrix (https://support.emc.com/docu49617_ViPR-1.0-Data-Sheet-and-Compatibility-Matrix.pdf?language=en_US), minimum CPU requirement for ViPR Controller 2+1 is "Each vCPU = 1 physical core of Intel Xeon E5 or E7 families with 2.4 GHz or higher speed".

But, our server has CPUs of AMD with 2.094 GHz capability. Since it is less than 2.4 GHz, Will it work? Please see the attached screenshot of our server configuration.

Please suggest.

CPU specs.png

472 Posts

November 27th, 2013 02:00

I can't say for certain if the CPU is a hard requirement or not.  Looking at the cluster of ESX Servers in our lab where ViPR is installed, all of them are slightly under 2.4 Ghz...

Regards,

Seamus

November 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi Seamus,

I had already tried installing ViPR once in our lab. But then we did not met minimum data store requirement (though we had enough memory and enough number of CPUs). When we tried starting VMs, it denied saying, "hardware requirement not met".

Now we are not sure, if that error message was due to incompatible CPU spec, OR was it just because of not having enough disk space. Things will get clear only when we are going to get enough disk space (which is on its way) and then we try installing ViPR.

I just thought to get confirmation here from someone, if CPU's spec is hard requirement.

Thanks,

Sachin

November 28th, 2013 06:00

Thanks seamuscoffey.

We did arranged the hardware required by ViPR and now we have installed the ViPR controller.  This time we are able to start the Controller vApp and all three VMs have started. We gave the below IP configurations:

a. Server 1 IP address: 172.16.14.131
    b. Server 2 IP address: 172.16.14.132
    c. Server 3 IP address: 172.16.14.133
    d. Public virtual IP address: 172.16.14.130
    e. Network netmask: 255.255.255.0
    f. Network gateway: 172.16.14.1
    g. DNS servers: 172.16.14.10, 172.16.14.11
    h. NTP servers: 172.16.14.25

Afterwards, we tried accessing ViPR using https://172.16.14.130:7443/ but it is not responding.

Is there something wrong I am doing here. I have not yet done the licensing part for ViPR. Is that must before using ViPR?

Please clarify.

Thanks,

Sachin Nagargoje

472 Posts

November 28th, 2013 06:00

Hi Sachin,

Please remove port 7443 from the URL as it is not required (the login will error out when you use 7443).

You will be promoted for a license key once you login to the UI for the first time.

Regards,

Seamus

233 Posts

November 28th, 2013 07:00

Hi Sachin,

Was it from a particular document or from the above video where it mentioned to use the port 7443 with the ViPR Controller URL?

The Video was recorded with the pre GA build where the port 7443 was required along with the ViPR Controller URL to launch

If this information is documented provide the name of the document and we will input a request to get the document updated.

Thanks

Conor

November 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi Conor, & Seamus

It was not a issue with port number. Actually I configured the IP addresses wrongly.

Actually below are current IP addresses details:

ESX 5.1.0 - *.*.93.100

Gateway- *.*.93.125

DNS - *.*.64.1

Could you please guide, how am I supposed to come up with IP addresses for Controller servers?

Thanks,

Sachin

No Events found!