8 Krypton

Re: ViPR : software appliance for Installation

Jump to solution

Hi Seamus,

I had already tried installing ViPR once in our lab. But then we did not met minimum data store requirement (though we had enough memory and enough number of CPUs). When we tried starting VMs, it denied saying, "hardware requirement not met".

Now we are not sure, if that error message was due to incompatible CPU spec, OR was it just because of not having enough disk space. Things will get clear only when we are going to get enough disk space (which is on its way) and then we try installing ViPR.

I just thought to get confirmation here from someone, if CPU's spec is hard requirement.

Thanks,

Sachin

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I can't say for certain if the CPU is a hard requirement or not.  Looking at the cluster of ESX Servers in our lab where ViPR is installed, all of them are slightly under 2.4 Ghz...

Regards,

Seamus

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thanks seamuscoffey.

We did arranged the hardware required by ViPR and now we have installed the ViPR controller.  This time we are able to start the Controller vApp and all three VMs have started. We gave the below IP configurations:

a. Server 1 IP address: 172.16.14.131
    b. Server 2 IP address: 172.16.14.132
    c. Server 3 IP address: 172.16.14.133
    d. Public virtual IP address: 172.16.14.130
    e. Network netmask: 255.255.255.0
    f. Network gateway: 172.16.14.1
    g. DNS servers: 172.16.14.10, 172.16.14.11
    h. NTP servers: 172.16.14.25

Afterwards, we tried accessing ViPR using https://172.16.14.130:7443/ but it is not responding.

Is there something wrong I am doing here. I have not yet done the licensing part for ViPR. Is that must before using ViPR?

Please clarify.

Thanks,

Sachin Nagargoje

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Sachin,

Please remove port 7443 from the URL as it is not required (the login will error out when you use 7443).

You will be promoted for a license key once you login to the UI for the first time.

Regards,

Seamus

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Sachin,

Was it from a particular document or from the above video where it mentioned to use the port 7443 with the ViPR Controller URL?

The Video was recorded with the pre GA build where the port 7443 was required along with the ViPR Controller URL to launch

If this information is documented provide the name of the document and we will input a request to get the document updated.

Thanks

Conor

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Conor, & Seamus

It was not a issue with port number. Actually I configured the IP addresses wrongly.

Actually below are current IP addresses details:

ESX 5.1.0 - *.*.93.100

Gateway- *.*.93.125

DNS - *.*.64.1

Could you please guide, how am I supposed to come up with IP addresses for Controller servers?

Thanks,

Sachin

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Sachin,

These are the requirements as per page 14 of the ViPR 1.0.0 Installation and Configuration Guide:

vipr.PNG.png

vipr2.PNG.png

Please open a Service Request via EMC Online Support (https://support.emc.com) if these issues persist.

Regards,

Seamus Coffey

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Yeah I see. Let me work with my network admin to have these details. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I successfully installed ViPR controller. Thanks Conor, and Seamus.

I looked at many whitepapers by EMC which talks about ViPR's concept and advantages. But I could not find any tutorial/white paper which talks about the internal architecture of the ViPR controller. Basically I want to know how these three Controller VMs communicate with each other. What happens when one of the VM is down - how other two handles the requests then. Where is the REST and UI situated is it situated at each VM and works in distributed way - Or is it lying in one of the VM?

I would appreciate if you could direct me to the tutorial which talk about the internal architecture of ViPR controller.

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Sachin,

Have a review of the help menu within the ViPR controller UI it provides information on architecture etc...

The ViPR controller components provides the block and file control service, a load balancer, the REST API, the command line interface, and the UI. Delivered as a virtual appliance installed across multiple VMS. The ViPR Controller 3 VM configuration can handle the loss of a single VM without impacting users. The ViPR Controller 5 VM configuration can handle the loss of a two VM without impacting users. Both configurations are able to handle expected ViPR workloads with the same level of performance. The choice of configuration should be determined by the level of tolerance to ViPR VM loss.

The load balancer included with the ViPR Controller provides a means to balance load across all controller VMs with a single Virtual IP address for the Controller Appliance. It enables the ViPR Controller VMs to appear as a single instance to external applications and consumers of ViPR API. The load balancer uses a single IP address which is the Virtual IP address of the ViPR instance. The ViPR Virtual IP address enables a single connection points for clients. The load balancer determines which ViPR VM to complete the connection with.

Documentation and White Papers currently available for VIPR can be found at the following URLs as more become available over time they will be added to these locations.

ViPR REST API Reference document provides information on using the ViPR REST API, which provides HTTP methods for setting up and managing objects and the virtual data center.

EMC ViPR Software-Defined Storage section on YouTube has various videos on ViPR components

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbssOJyyvHuW1TAxMzVd8PF4aQPZk5Mb6

Regards

Conor

0 Kudos