Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 31st, 2010 11:00

Backup Exec 2010 R2 integration with VCenter 4.1 and ESXi 4.1

Is there an up to date document somewhere on installing the latest Backup Exec?
I'm planning to connect the media server to the iSCSI switch and would like to be able to take application consistent backups of NTFS, SQL and Exchange servers as well as hypervisor aware backups of VMs.
Does the EQL HIT needs to be installed on the media server?
Is ASM/ME or VE integrated in any shape or form?
Looks like Symantec has their own snapshot provider for VMs. Does it use the EQL features for snapshots?

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 12:00

Let me rephrase the question:
Which backup software integrates best with the EQL snapshot features?
- Backup Exec
- Netbackup
- Comvault
- some other

I really like the idea of taking an application consistent snapshot on the EQL box and then back it up without interfering with production.
Could not find clear documentation on how to do it. Am I looking for something which does not (yet) exist?
Should I just stick to ASM/ME/VE? Can't beat the price!

1 Message

January 3rd, 2011 12:00

Check out the following document. It is a "How-To" guide on leveraging EQL snapshots with Backup Exec. It walks you through the process of setting up the components on the application server, Backup Exec media server, and then configuring the backups.

http://dell.symantec.com/files/3/images/Configuring_Backup_Exec_off-host_backups_with_PS_Series_SANs_hi_res.pdf

When it comes to Virtualization - Backup Exec integrates directly with the vStorage APIs provided by VMware for backup.

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2011 11:00

Thanks, I've seen that document.
Does it still apply to BE2010R2 or the the new agent for ESX changes the way this works?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 9th, 2012 12:00

FYI:  ADBO/Off Host Backup and EQL will only work on NTFS formatted volumes that are connected via the MS iSCSI initiator.   The VMFS filesystem isn't readable by Windows, so you can't directly mount an EQL snapshot to a Windows systems.  You can do so to a Linux server, with 'vmfs-tools' installed.  But it's not integrated into BUE.  

Regards,

1 Message

March 6th, 2012 02:00

Hello

Just to clarify, is it not possible to configure an off-host backup of VM's when targetting the VM's through vCenter in Backup Exec 2010 R3?

We would like to be able to rely on the EQL SAN to create the snapshots when taking a backup of VM's instead of vCenter.

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

No Events found!