Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 17th, 2013 12:00

ESXi 5.1 patches on Dell servers?

So we have several R720's running ESXi 5.1 and I'd like to know Dell's recommended method for installing ESXi Patches. This currectly has the Dell customized ESXi installed using this installer,

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A01.iso

Is it OK to install the ESXi Patches downloaded from the VMware web site? Or should we only install new updates with the Dell Custom installer? For example,

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0.update01-1065491.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A01.iso

What is the recommended method?

And what about the "VMware vSphere Update Manager". Is it OK to use this to install ESXi updates on Dell servers with the Customized ESXi Image?

November 7th, 2013 00:00

Hey there Steve

I do not think there is an official Dell way to patch servers.

What i do when i recommend customers on what to do when it comes to patches is to use Update manager. This is vmwares recommended tool to patch esx hosts and you can also use it to update vms and the hardware on vms.

So the answer is yes it is OK to use vmwares patches they wont overwrite the drivers that are specific Dell.

But you also talk about using an iso to patch the hosts this is very timeconsuming compared to use update manager also that is an upgrade not a patch. Look at the build numbers. The first one is the GA release and the other update1 you will get the same patches from update manager. But if there has been any specific changes from Dell in their drivers or in their iso that you wont get through update manager.

If you have a system that needs those changes then an upgrade is better with the iso from Dell. At this date we also got 5.5 released and you have a dell version release as well.

This again would be an upgrade where you have to use the iso or upload the iso to update manager to do the upgrade.

Good luck hopefully this answers some of your questions.

Regards Boris

March 17th, 2014 15:00

I would recommend for sure to use the VMware vSphere Update Manager.

This is really the best way to go.

24 Posts

June 1st, 2014 15:00

Sorry for the delayed response.  So when using the Update Manager to install updates will that also update the Dell Drivers on the ESXi host if needed?

January 4th, 2015 14:00

Yes and no :)

If VMware has released a newer driver for the hardware from their repository you will get it.

However any Dell released patches will most likely not be downloaded automatic, however you could add the Dell repository to your Update Manager.

I wrote a blog post that explains how to do that here: www.perfectcloud.org/.../update-manager-vendors-online-depots-available

24 Posts

January 5th, 2015 01:00

But seems only the OpenManage packages are downloaded from the Dell Online Repository,     http://vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml

None of the Hardware drivers included in the Dell Customized ESXi installer can be found there. The only way I've found to reliably update those drivers is to boot the Dell Custom install CD and do an update. I don't understand why the Dell ESXi hardware drivers aren't included in the Dell Online Repo.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2015 03:00

No Events found!