Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2010 05:00

HOWTO: Configure vSphere 4.0 vmotion with md3000

My configuration is as follows:

1 x md3000 (15 x 146GB SAS 15K, two Raid controllers)
2 x Servers with 146GB Local Storage. with SAS5/e Dual port HBA cards. These will be used to host the vSphere ESX 4.0 software.
1 x Server where I have installed vCentre on a seprate server not connected to the md3000.
4 x SAS cables to connect the singl HBA of each server to the MD3000 in redundant fashion.

I would like to make use of the VMOTION / HA functionality of vSphere, so that if one server crashes the other takes over the hosting of the VM's automatically.
I would like both servers to have access to the MD3000 so that each server can run thier own set of VM's, but have the ability to take over the load of a failed server.
Each guest VM will have an OS hd and DATA HD for applications.

From what I can tell I would need to configure virtual disks as follows:
1 x VM Config LUN ( Raid 1 - 2 disks)
1 x OS LUN ( Raid 5 - 5 disks)
1 x DATA LUN ( Raid 1 - 7 disks)
1 x Hot Spare (used by all virtual disks)

Can you please comment or point me to documents that detail the vphere md3000 vmotion configuration.

Thanks,

180 Posts

January 19th, 2010 06:00

Hi Louiskotze,

After you have connected the HBA ports to the controller ports in a redundant manner i.e. Server 1 HBA port 1 -> Controller 1 port 1 / Server 1 HBA port 2 -> Controller 2 port 1; Server 2 HBA port 1 -> Controller 1 port 2 / Server 2 HBA port 2 -> Controller 2 port 2, make sure that both servers can see any datastore that you create on your disks and make sure that your ESX servers are on the same subnet / VLAN and you should be able to VMotion / enable HA without issues.

One comment on your disk config, on your DATA LUN if it's RAID 1, it can consist of 2 disks but if you want to span more than that a RAID 1/0 (mirrored pairs striped) will allow you to do that; however, the # of disks in a RAID 1/0 will be even and encompass at a minimum 4 disks.

1 Message

March 9th, 2011 16:00

I have a setup almost identical to louiskotze. In the setup described above, the MD3000 is still the single point of failure. If I had a second MD3000, can I add it to this mix with vMotion, so that both servers and storage are redundant? If so, how would I set this up?

Thanks,

--Keith

55 Posts

March 11th, 2011 09:00

Direct attached storage with the MD3000 will only let you vmotion two hosts, so as long as you have a dual controller, and the connections are attached to one of the two controllers.

vmotion was designed for use with SAN and iSCSI. Allowing you to connect mulitple hosts over the network to migrate guests and datastores.
No Events found!