Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

February 6th, 2019 08:00

new vCenter Server DNS requirement ?

Hi, I wanted to know, if I am setting up a host-only vCSA server then during configuration of vCSA what DNS do I need to add ? I have checked VM Workstation it does NOT have any DNS entry ? I have tried it on NAT which has a DNS but the vCSA still cannot be accessed via the web UI, I found out this is a DNS issue by running via SSH command service-control --start vxpd. As obvious I can ping the device and access it via SSH. I have read that it can be done using a Windows Server with AD DNS setup, as of now I have tried a server with DNS without AD, I'm testing one with AD as well. But here is my understanding, chrome of my laptop does not communicate with vCenter via the web UI, and I have opened the .ova file in VMWare Workstation, plus I have come to know there are 2 methods to install, either the installer (GUI or CLI) or installit on ESXi, my question is how to set up the vCenter Server from the .ova file. I have opened the file directly in workstation and doing it, am I following the correct method ? (I haven't read it anywhere if this is possible. Thank you

10 Posts

February 28th, 2019 02:00

DNS FWD and Reverse has been a requirement for vCenter for a very long time.

16 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 15:00

I don't know if vcsa is supported directly in VMware workstation (I doubt it), but if this is for a lab/learning environment I've gotten away with installing ESXi in VMware workstation and deploying the vcsa to that via the installer properly. You can get OVFs of ESXi to do this here. You'll still need DNS set up though somewhere.

162 Posts

September 6th, 2022 22:00

When you deploy the new vCenter Server appliance, in the temporary network settings, you can assign a static IP address and an FQDN that is resolvable by a DNS server. After the upgrade, the appliance frees this static IP address and assumes the network settings of the old appliance.

When you deploy the vCenter Server appliance with a static IP address, you ensure that in case of system restart, the IP address of the appliance remains the same.

Before you deploy the vCenter Server appliance with a static IP address, you must verify that this IP address has a valid internal domain name system (DNS) registration.

When you deploy the vCenter Server appliance, the installation of the web server component that supports the vSphere Client fails if the installer cannot look up the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for the appliance from its IP address. Reverse lookup is implemented using PTR records.

If you plan to use an FQDN for the appliance system name, you must verify that the FQDN is resolvable by a DNS server, by adding foward and reverse DNS A records.

You can use the nslookup command to verify that the DNS reverse lookup service returns an FQDN when queried with the IP address and to verify that the FQDN is resolvable.
nslookup -nosearch -nodefname FQDN_or_IP_address
If you use DHCP instead of a static IP address for the vCenter Server appliance, verify that the appliance name is updated in the domain name service (DNS). If you can ping the appliance name, the name is updated in DNS.

Ensure that the ESXi host management interface has a valid DNS resolution from the vCenter Server and all vSphere Client instances. Ensure that the vCenter Server has a valid DNS resolution from all ESXi hosts and vSphere Client.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

No Events found!