Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 31st, 2014 12:00

Change Tracking and Reporting

Hi All,

We have recently upgraded from the standard edition of foglight for virtualization to the enterprise version. One thing I can not find immediately accessible is a change tracking screen or report. For example, I would like to be able to run a report or see a summary of all changes made in the environment over a selected period of time. For example, additional memory added to a VM. A network configuration change made on a host, a new datastore added to a cluster, etc. Even better would be to have an alert generated and sent whenever these types of changes occur.

Given the complexity and amount of information provided, I am sure I am simply overlooking this. If someone would be able to point me in the right direction that would be really helpful.

Thanks all!

October 1st, 2014 07:00

Actually the Change Analyzer cartridge should be released for FVE 8.0. This was announced on 8/19/2014.

Analyze system variations with Change Analyzer feature that provides cross-hypervisor change tracking capabilities that allow organizations to track, report and alert on any event that can impact overall virtual infrastructure performance. Businesses can perform ‘impact analysis’ reports to see the impact of a change before it is made, as well as see the impact changes could have on performance with the ability to map changes in CPU, Memory, Disk and Network performance.

More information here: 

13 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 19:00

Hi - the Change Analyzer from the Standard edition is not available in the Enterprise version, you could do what you want with some kind of customization with the help of professional services. Let me know if you need any more info - thanks Danny

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply and answer. I have to be honest, I am quite surprised that the Enterprise version of the product does not have a reporting mechanism out of the box to handle this kind of compliance reporting, given the nature of the product (Enterprise level) versus the standard edition. I am also surprised there is not more customer interest in such a to

With that said, am I safe to assume that a professional services engagement for assistance in such a case would come as an extra cost for a customer?

Thanks

171 Posts

February 4th, 2014 04:00

That is correct that there is a cost to PSO.  If there is a specific list though, some of us (ie. folks like myself) do have some free time and could try to code some of this via here in the communities.

Thomas

April 10th, 2014 08:00

If you have this in a lower version can't you implement it in the enterprise edition?  This would be an extremely beneficial report for me.  Thanks.

32 Posts

October 1st, 2014 07:00

I have to agree with the OP.  Change tracking (aka "auditing") is something highly asked for in an enterprise.  It would make more sense to including this with the Enterprise edition over the Standard edition actually.  In areas where there are regulations like Hippa, PCI, etc., this kind of report is invaluable!  I would hope that Dell looks to add more useful reports such as these in the 8.0 Enterprise version coming up.

32 Posts

October 1st, 2014 08:00

Thank you Gaston!  This is great news.  

No Events found!