Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2009 15:00

Antivirus wont open.WinMe.Says:Stub.exe file is linked to missing export Kernel32.dll:GetComputerNameExw??Help please...

I have an older cpu, dell dimension 4100, P3,Windows ME OS and had given it to my daughter when she moved out. Her and her boyfriend used it without any antivirus on it! Now, she's back and I'm trying to get it set up for her to use and cannot get any antivirus to work, actually open. It installed but can't bring it up to clean up this computer as I keep

getting the message above.  It also has something after Kernel32.dll:GetCompute Name Exw....and no idea what that means at all.

Seems like I have Kernel32.dll but msg keeps saying: STUB.EXE is linked to "MISSING" export Kernel32.dll and I have no idea what to do? Can anyone help me?

Thanks....Pat Reply to this post or email please at  and I will check yahoo on "MY" good and protected computer.

<ADMIN NOTE: Email ID removed per privacy policy>

20.5K Posts

October 9th, 2009 16:00

For security reasons, please edit your post to remove the email address.

This is the forum where we read diagnostic logs. Please repost your question here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3522.aspx

Thanks.

April 24th, 2010 17:00

This sounds like the problem I am having with my friend Dell Latitude with Windows 98.  What is the solution?

Bill

20.5K Posts

April 25th, 2010 14:00

Try reinstalling Windows 98. You will probably have a hard time finding realtime anti-virus protection because most are written for XP and newer operating systems, but on the other hand, malware writers are not concerned with creating viruses for Windows 98 anymore. Finding a compatible browser might be a problem as well. I suggest getting it cleaned up and keeping it for offline use.

No Events found!