Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2011 17:00

Antivirus8 got me and now I can no get past a blank screen when I boot.

I sure hope someone can help me!!

I'll try to make a super long story a little less long....

Before I forget - I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 with Windows XP home edition. This baby is 8+ years old and still works well - until now.

OK, I do not know how I got this virus because I am not one to click on random things. But yesterday, I started getting the pop-ups that say your computer is infected blah, blah, blah. I knew it was some kind of trojan, virus, whatever. So as I was feverishly dodging the pop-ups, I tried all of the antivirus programs I have. NONE of them would scan. The virus had compromised all of my antivirus programs.

Then I tried to restore to an earlier checkpoint. Did that 3 times and each time it said there was an error or something and wouldn't restore to an earlier time.

So I read some more and tried to get into safe mode. Got in safe mode and tried to download malware antivirus program. The pop-ups started not letting me into any program on my computer. Finally the computer froze, and control+alt+delete was not doing anything. So I finally had to power off the computer. When I tried to get back on, it shows the Dell logo and then goes blank before it ever gets to the Windows XP screen. I can not go anywhere from that screen. I can not get into safe mode - tried hitting f8 to get into safe mode - nothing. Tried hitting f12 - nothing. Tried hitting f2 - screen goes blank again. Tried hitting f12 - screen goes blank. Tried control+shift+esc - nothing.

Now, at some point when I was trying to get into one of the antivirus programs, I did see somewhere "av8.exe". So I know for a fact I have that virus. I have read for hours online trying to figure out what to do. There are a lot of helpful suggestions. But none of them talk about what to do to get past this totally blank screen. There is no cursor, no mouse, no nothing.

Already reseated the memory cards, checked power supply, took out battery and put back in. Yada yada yada. My LCD works fine. I do not think it is equipment-related at all.  

Can anyone please inform me what to do if anyone knows. I would prefer not to lose everything that I have on my computer.

And before anyone tries to be a smart alleck, I am able to type this e-mail because I am on my desktop - NOT on the computer that is infected!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 7th, 2011 17:00

prissygirl,

Post Here for Malware Removal ...

You'll need to register. The qualified Malware Removal people can help you better there.

Rick

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

October 7th, 2011 18:00

Hi prissygirl,
Welcome to Dell Community.

It is good that you have another computer accessible. After you post at SpywareHammer, you will need a USB stick or CD to download some tools so that you can transfer them to the infected laptop. If you have that handy it will speed up the process. Your issue will be probably handled at SpywareHammer in less than 24 hours.

Best of luck in getting your problem resolved.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

October 7th, 2011 21:00

This one is a malware problem.

2.5K Posts

October 7th, 2011 21:00

If you hit F2 at the start of the boot process, do you get the set up screen?  If not I would suspect that you have a hardware problem.  The F2 key is processed by the BIOS before anything else is processed.  Have you tried to boot a floppy desk?  Do you still have the original Floppy disgnostic disk?  You can download the floppy diagnostics, but you will need a writer on your desktop to create them.

Every problem is not malware related.

If you have a medical problem and you got to a cardiologist then he says it is a heart problem, and if you go to an endrocrinologist then he says the problem is glandular.

2.5K Posts

October 7th, 2011 22:00

"Tried hitting f2 - screen goes blank again." If you can not get to the setup menu, how can it be malware?  The BIOS is in control.  You can do a F2 on boot on systems with a blank disk.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

October 7th, 2011 23:00

The question is regarding Antivirus 8 [av8.exe] and the classic symptoms of the rogue program. I don't come here to debate. I come here to help people.
prissygirl, I suggest that you follow the suggestion to post at SpywareHammer so this can resolved in a timely manner without debate.

I am finished replying in this topic.

8 Posts

October 8th, 2011 09:00

Bugbatter - I agree. I think my problem is malware because for one, I saw "av8.exe" at some point in my attempt to figure out the problem. I think there may be another virus(es) also, but the system was able to boot until I saw an icon for something like "AVGuard" on my desktop. The icon looked like a little shield. Also, in my taskbar was a picture of a little bug. When the mouse cursor went over it, it just disappeared. And all of the nag pop-ups started appearing all over the place. So I am pretty sure it is malware.

I have gone to spywarehammer and am in the process of starting to fix this mess. Thanks for the suggestion!

8 Posts

Thank you. I have done so and we are beginning the process.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

You're most welcome. It appears that you are in good hands, and I am pleased to see that a fix is already in progress.:emotion-21:

No Events found!