iroc9555
4 Beryllium

Any body else ?

Jump to solution

About  3 or 4 days ago unsecapp.exe and wmiapsrv.exe Wmiprvse.exe  are showing up in my task manager when booting.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe Wmiprvse.exe

There are a few questions around the web about it but it seems no one knows why. I know they are from Microsoft for incompatability and Service red respectively, but no idea why they are showing now.

I uninstalled a few programs I updated the past week but they still show.

CCleaner, Sandboxie, Flash, FF.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3. IE8 & FF38

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ky331
7 Gold

RE: Any body else ?

Jump to solution

It looks as if we finally have an answer to the mystery:   unseccapp.exe is connected with Avast's Browser Cleanup Tool (BCT)

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=150673.msg1097333#msg1097333

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=150673.msg1098930#msg1098930

And this is fully consistent with what I noted in the thread about Avast's recent "Emergency Updates", that I noticed the BCT was updated on (or about) 27 May  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19585811.aspx

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
ky331
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Can confirm I saw... and in fact, am still seeing... unsecapp.exe running in task manager.   I believe I first noticed it showing up as a "recent" addition in WinPatrol.

But I don't see wmiapsrv.exe --- I do see WmiPrvSE.exe running.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

0 Kudos
iroc9555
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

You are right. It is wmiprvse.exe. I had another site open at the time and mixed the two of them. My bad. Thank you.

Now the question still remains. What and why are they doing  that they were not needed before. Which program, update, invoked them ?

Hernan.

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

0 Kudos
joe53
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

I am not seeing any of the above mentioned processes - not in WinPatrol,  not in task manager, in both XP or Win 7.

I would suspect they come from programs you use that I do not currently have. Avast? EMET? Something else?

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 4.x Premium, Windows Defender AV, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
dalem29
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Have unsecapp.exe only in Task Manager

Gives a description of:

" Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application"

0 Kudos
ky331
7 Gold

Jump to solution

[On my Win7]  By default, I am seeing one instance of  unsecapp.exe running in task manager.  

However, when I check the box to "Show processes from all users", I see two instances of  unsecapp.exe  (one running for for "me", one for System) well as two instances of  WmiPrvSE.exe (one for System, one for Network).

I have no idea when they first showed up.   I know I took notice of them only recently... but that doesn't prove anything for me.

0 Kudos
iroc9555
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

I started noticing wmiprvse.exe with FF 29 everytime I opened FF 29, but now, since unsecapp.exe showed up, wmiprvse.exe is there all the time.

Joe could be right. Others have speculated that unsecapp.exe is showing because of avast!, or that wmiprvse.exe needs unsecapp.exe in case there is the need for help.

Hernan.

0 Kudos
ky331
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Just checked my XP system... with processes from all users, there's either 1 or 2 instances of each running

0 Kudos
RoHe
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I don't use Winpatrol or AVAST (never had either one) but I see 2 instances of WmiPrvSE.exe in Device Manager (Win 7 Pro, 32-bit). It's Properties tab list the Product Name as: Microsoft Windows Operating System.

I have an unsecapp.exe file on my HDD in a sub-folder of C:\windows\winsxs\..., but it's not listed as running according to Device Manager.

I'm using MS Security Essentials.

EDIT: And I only have IE11 installed, not FF.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
iroc9555
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

I don't use Winpatrol or AVAST (never had either one) ...

I have an unsecapp.exe file on my HDD in a sub-folder of C:\windows\winsxs\..., but it's not listed as running according to Device Manager.

Thank you Ron. So far unsecapp.exe is active in all instances where avast! is running and no other AV.

Hernan.

0 Kudos