• 

30.3K Posts

May 15th, 2013 04:00

Avast and WebcamDell2.exe

Avast has quarantined WebcamDell2.exe

Said it is FileRepMalware

File ID13

This is the executable file for Dell Webcam Central

This is a false positive. I did click on the False positive button but do not know if Avast will correct this or what the procedure is.

Transfered to vault 5/13/2013 11:32:55AM

Rick

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 15th, 2013 05:00

Rick,

Assuming the file is still in avast's virus vault:

Open Avast User Interface by clicking on the orange a-ball in your system tray.

on the top, click on Maintenance

then on the left, on Virus Chest

locate and highlight that particular file.

RIGHT-click on it, and select Submit to virus lab.

If they ask, Fill-in any helpful information that you can supply

(and click OK, or whatever it takes, to complete the process.)

The file will be submitted to avast the next time avast performs a definition update.   So you might as well "force" it now, by clicking (on the left) on Update, then Update Engine and Virus Definitions.

-----------

From within the virus chest, another of the Right-Click options is to (re-)Scan the file, so in a day or so, you can determine if the issue has been fixed.  If so, you can then Restore the file.

----------

FileRep Malware is based on a "file's reputation"... both new, as well as "not often encountered", files get "caught".   Potentially great for catching brand-new malware, but as you've seen, can generate a F/P on a legitimate but "uncommon" file.

FileRep can be enabled/disabled from the Settings (upper-right-hand corner), Cloud Services, Enable Reputation services.   Of course, if you opt to (temporarily) disable this [if you need to use your webcam], keep in mind you'll be losing this feature on all files accessed.

Alternatively, you can add the webcam file to avast's exclusion's list:   Settings, Global exclusions.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 15th, 2013 08:00

ky331,

Thank you, Avast has corrected the file.

Now to explain to the members how to do this.

May I copy a few lines from your thread, so the members can restore the file?

Rick

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 15th, 2013 09:00

Rick,

feel free to copy any/all of my post, as you deem fit.

My goal is to help others, and so circulation of any suggestions I can offer is actually appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 15th, 2013 10:00

ky331,

I have made this a stickie for a week in the Laptop Video Forum.

Can you look over this article and suggest if there is anything to add/edit. I have locked it so people do not reply.

Thanks,

Rick

1K Posts

May 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi Rick.

You might point out that eventhough the file is restored from Avast! virus chest to the original location, a copy will remain in Avast! virus chest and can be deleted by right clicking on it and choose delete that way you will not have any returns asking why the file is still in quarantine.

Regards.

No Events found!