Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2009 13:00

Best Overall Software for my Laptop

Hey guys... So I currently use McAfee, as it came with my Dell Laptop that I purchased a year ago.  But the more I hear about AVG and AVAST, the more I hear that I should move to them.  

So my question is this:  what is best to get, McAfee, AVG free, or Avast?  I'm not worried about McAfee and it being resource heavy as I have a pretty decent laptop.  I just want decent protection.  

Also, isn't McAfee an all-in-one software as far as viruses, spyware, malware, firewall, etc.?  If I download AVG or Avast, will I have to get multiple types of software to prevent other forms of bad stuff from happening to my computer other than viruses?   (Should I be using multiple types of software for malware/spyware even with McAfee?)

Thanks for the help!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 6th, 2009 14:00

Just my opinion, but I would steer clear of McAfee, AVG Free, and suites in general.

Avast is well recommended hereabouts.

More info on AVs and free security products here:
http://naut.homestead.com/files/Free/free1.html

134 Posts

April 7th, 2009 08:00

I would say Avast and Free AVG are really good. I have install both of lots of PCs and have never had any issues.

Thanks

64 Posts

April 7th, 2009 08:00

Wow, thank you for that link.  That really helped.  

Everyone just resorts to "just stay away from xxx", but whats the actual reasons I should stay away from McAfee, other than it being a resource hog (which isn't too big of a deal), and being a "jack of all trades, master of none"?  For the most part, wouldn't it accomplish most of what I need it to do?  

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 7th, 2009 10:00

Kaaji1359:

You asked for the "Best Overall Software" and I gave you my opinion. There is nothing wrong with McAfee, and indeed the suite will accomplish most of what you need. When I last used its standalone AV (many years ago) it never let any viruses in. If the suite works well for you, and you don't mind the cost, then stick with it.

I just think there are equal or better products available (some for free, such as Avast) that will accomplish the same. As I stated in my link, there is no "best" (AV, firewall, antispyware, etc - one size does not fit all) but independent test sites do indicate that some products consistently do better than others.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 7th, 2009 18:00

Thanks for weighing in here, RD.

You know more about current McAfee products than I do.

I believe we are in agreement to stick with what works best. Perhaps I should amend some of my website's comments about McAfee. (Won't change my opinion on the merits of using a security suite, versus rolling one's own, however).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 7th, 2009 18:00

Hi kaaji1359,

If you have a current subscription to McAfee and it has worked well for you this past year, why would you want to change?

You will find that there are as many opinions about the best security software as there are people. All I can tell you is I have been using McAfee software for nearly two years now and it's kept me perfectly safe in that time, in fact it's saved my bacon on more than a dozen occasions.

In recent testing at AV-Comparatives, McAfee was one of only four to receive their top award.

64 Posts

April 8th, 2009 07:00

Thanks again for the help!  

I'll probably stick with McAfee just because it's very easy and an all-in-one atm.  Once my subscription runs out, I'll move to the free ones from that website you posted.  

3 Posts

July 31st, 2023 04:00

Hello,

As per my opinion, McAfee is a better option for web security and malware protection. It has various effective features with which it is standing above the AVG & AVAST.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 31st, 2023 12:00

@Maxx08 - Why respond to a thread that's 14 years old...?

No Events found!