Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2009 08:00

Can one tell me if I need seperate Antivirus & seperate Ant spyware if choose to go for free virus protection.?

I have subscription Mc Afee that soon will need renewal.

I am to do a clean install of my OS prior to the MCAfee subscription runs out. I see here on discussion that the McAfee is very baggy and recommended for the free antivirus.

I am a single home computer user. 

What is my position if I choose to install the free Avast antivirus-Should I need a seperate Antispyware installed as well? [Does free Antivirus has built in Antispware like the McAfee?

My  newly installed Os would be Vista Ultimate and I understand that it has built in firewall.

snow

20.5K Posts

February 16th, 2009 11:00

I suggest having an anti-spyware along with Avast.  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware + Avast would be a good combination. Perhaps add WinPatrol as well.

Please see this page for FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

The Vista firewall is fine and it will be enabled at boot.

If you prefer a different firewall, there are some listed on that page.

1.1K Posts

February 16th, 2009 12:00

Hello Bugbatter,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have now downloaded the set up files to a cd to be installed during my clean install of the 64 bit vista Ultimate.

Is there any order in which I should install the set up files of the Avast&Malwarebytes' AntiMalware? First the Avast to be followed by the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

I appreciate your suggestion very much and thank you.

Snow

20.5K Posts

February 16th, 2009 15:00

I missed your reference to Ultimate earlier. I see that for Vista MBAM is for 32-bit only.

WinPatrol is compatible with Vista 64-bit.

There is a discussion here regarding Super Anti-Spyware which would have been my second choice:

http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2569

I'll leave the decision whether to try that one up to you based on the information in that discussion from another 64-bit user.

No Events found!