Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

June 7th, 2008 13:00

Cannot remove Norton.

Today, after creating a restore point, I tried to uninstal Noton Security Online! which comes free with BT Yahoo! Broadband Service 2. But during the un-uninstall I got a pop-up saying that there were things in quarantine. Having never put stuff in quarantine, I decided to check it out, but I had to used CTRL+ALT+DELETE to stop the uninstal to check it.  There was nothing there, as I thought would be the case. I went back to the control pannel to re-start the removal process, but it wasn't there! I got a note saying I should re-start to complete the uninstalation, and I re-started. But Norton was still there after the restart! And it wasn't in the Add/Remove programmes list. Every other programme knew it was there. 

I tried the following things:

System Restore (I got a message saying I hadn't changed anything).

Re-install norton (Successfull, but it still wasn't in the Add/Remove programmes list)

Disk check (found nothing)

I will defragment and re-disk check soon, but I don't see how that would help.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 7th, 2008 15:00

First, see if you can remove it from your settings in the Yahoo toolbar. It may be trying to reload each time you open a web page.

Following that try the removal tool from Symantec which is supposed to completely remove Symantec products. It is available here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 7th, 2008 16:00

You're welcome. Let us know how that goes.

12 Posts

June 7th, 2008 16:00

I don't see anything that could do it in the Yahoo Toolbar, and it loads in the task bar whether I'm online or not.

I'll try the programme when I think I'll be online long enough to download it.

Thank you very much.

12 Posts

June 8th, 2008 10:00

Before I do that, can anyone please tell me why it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove programmes list? And does the fact that it doesn't do so mean that its a risk to my computer?

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 8th, 2008 11:00

You probably had an incomplete removal, and no, I do not believe it is a "risk" to your computer.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 8th, 2008 16:00

Super! Thank you for confirming that. :)

12 Posts

June 8th, 2008 16:00

The software appears to have worked.

Thanks.

12 Posts

June 8th, 2008 17:00

It was fairly straightforward for me to install.

On another note, AVG found 5 trojans that Norton didn't.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 8th, 2008 17:00

That's interesting. Are you sure that's all? It might not be a bad idea to run MBAM to get yet one more opinion:
Try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
You download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM if you should need to refer to the information later.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
No Events found!