Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 19th, 2010 15:00

ClamWin virus scanner moves most of Windows into quarantine

A "very unfortunate coincidence" when updating virus signatures and scanner software caused the free ClamWin (ClamAV for Windows) virus scanner to run amok and move large numbers of files into quarantine on Windows systems. On the ClamWin forum, various users reported that 25,000 files, including system files, were moved into quarantine as a result – more or less the entire system.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Free-ClamWin-virus-scanner-moves-most-of-Windows-into-quarantine-1139430.html

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 19th, 2010 16:00

I'll second what BB just said.

dat no good :emotion-12:

20.5K Posts

November 19th, 2010 16:00

:emotion-3: Yikes!

(Thanks for posting this, RD.)

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 19th, 2010 19:00

Oy vey!

More and more, I question the wisdom of running routine or scheduled on-demand scans, particularly when the default for detections is to quarantine or delete. I give a lot of latitude to my on-demand scanners when it comes to false positives, but a system-breaking snafu like this is unforgiveable.

Moral: If  you can't configure your  2nd opinion scanner to notify-only (rather than quarantine, or delete) then don't use it.

159 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 11:00

It seems that you ClamAV is so suspicious to any file. You are not have to use it. I suggest you to use another antivirus like Avast ( its my choice), AVG or Avira.

20.5K Posts

November 23rd, 2010 08:00

Due to the fact that AVG is conflicting with at least one of the best tools used by the analysts on the Malware Removal Forum, and is getting extremely difficult to remove (even with the uninstaller), I no longer recommend AVG.

20.5K Posts

November 24th, 2010 19:00

I concur with Bugbatter, but for different reasons:
Yes, that, too, but this recent development with tool conflicts was "the last straw" for me.

By the way, good research, Joe. Thanks! :emotion-21:

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 24th, 2010 19:00

Due to the fact that AVG is conflicting with at least one of the best tools used by the analysts on the Malware Removal Forum, and is getting extremely difficult to remove (even with the uninstaller), I no longer recommend AVG.

I once used and recommended AVG, but not for several years now.

I concur with Bugbatter, but for different reasons:

1) A few years back, AVG partnered with LimeWire, a peer-to-peer (p2p) file-sharing service, in order to "protect" LimeWire's customers from getting infected whilst using their services. All well and good, until one considers that the  majority of LimeWire's users were engaging in illegally downloading and sharing copyrighted media files.

For a security program to promote such illegal activity by making it safer is a perversion of the intended purpose of  an anti-virus. Shame on AVG for such unethical behavior.

2) Since 2008, AVG has bundled its "AVG Toolbar" (a Yahoo toolbar, in fact) with its installer, and promoted it as a security feature. Even worse, it is pre-checked to be installed by default. I am unaware of any testing of this toolbar that shows it enhances security, but do believe claims that installing it lines the pockets of AVG for what is essentially adware.

This is a sneaky and misleading practice that once again calls into question the motives and ethics of AVG. People downloading an AV expect to get just an AV, not extra software or toolbars.

3) AVG has a bad track record with false positive (FP) detections. In 2008, AVG detected components of Adobe Flash Player, ZoneAlarm's software firewall, and even a core file of Windows (user32.dll) as FPs. The deletion or even quarantine of these files had disastrous results (particularly the Windows file, which resulted in many to have to re-install their operating system).

All scanners have FPs- they are a fact of life. These FPs of AVG were particularly egregious. And amongst the free AVs, AVG continues to be the worst offender. From the combined 2010 FP tests by AV-Comparatives:
AVG- 29 FPs
Avira- 21
avast- 20
MSE- 6

In short, I see no advantages to using AVG, and many potential disadvantages. I'm aware that knowledgeable users can avoid installing its toolbar, know how to handle and investigate FP detections, and know better than to use P2P file-sharing.

But surely we post for the benefit of the least-knowledgeable members here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

References:

1) AVG and LimeWire Secure World’s Largest Peer-to-Peer Network
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/press-releases-news.ndi-226919

2) AVG 8.0 to Bundle the Yahoo Toolbar
http://remove-malware.com/antimalware/avoid-this/avg-80-to-bundle-the-yahoo-toolbar/

3) AVG Damage Control
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19242842.aspx

4) False Alarm Tests
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/false-alarm-tests

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 25th, 2010 05:00

No Events found!