Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2004 11:00

Computer lockup: Spyware problem need help?

I have a dell desktop 2350.  I have Windows XP.  Them problem I am having is that I can not even get to windows.  When I turn my computer on it goes to the screen that says, how would you like to start your computer.  The options it gives you are start computer nornally, start in safe mode, and ther are two other options.  But which ever one i pick it goes to this blue screen.  Where is says that there is a registry error.  And at the bottom it says something about dumping and counts to 100 and reboots and goes to the other screen saying how do you want to start your computer.  I talked to dell tech support and they said I had to reinstall everything and I will lose everything on my computer.  I do not want to lose anything, does anybody have any ideas for me to try to fix.  thanks

6 Posts

I will get them for you.  I am at work and computer is home.  Thanks

4.8K Posts

dagwoodoe,

Can you give us the specific BSOD error message, including any programs or modules that are listed, so we can help you research this problem? Be sure to give us the stop codes also.

Mike.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2004 17:00

Here's what comes up when I try to log on:

We apologize for the incovience , but Windows did not start successfully.  A recent hardware or software change moght have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restart unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous setup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power oe reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose windows nornally..

Safe mode

Safe mode with networking

Safe mode with command prompt

Last known good configuration(your most recent settings that worked)

start windows normally

Above is what I get when I turn on my computer and what ever option I try I still get a blue screen, which I have below.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Registry_error

If this is the first time you've seen this stop this error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.  If this is a new installation ask your hardware or sotfware manf. for amy windows updates you might need.  If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f-8 to select  advanced setup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information

*** stop: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000, 0xE1878000) (I used start windows normally and got this.)

Beginning dump of physical memory

DFumping phyisical memeory to disk ( then hear it counts uo to 100 and restarts)

When I tried safe mode I got this:

*** stop:  0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000, 0xE1878000)

Hope this helps thanks

526 Posts

November 4th, 2004 18:00

Hi

Please check this link ,looks like a problem with your hard drive or your windows xp os

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=126804#M126804

cheers

6 Posts

November 4th, 2004 18:00

I am trying to avoid losing everything on my harddrive.  Is there any other options to avoid losing everything. Thanks

4.8K Posts

November 4th, 2004 19:00

dagwoodoe,

I doubt this will work at this point, but have you tried a 'repair' installation of windows?

Mike.

6 Posts

November 5th, 2004 11:00

I have tried a repair install, it did not work.  Is there any way to fix it without losing everything.

4.8K Posts

November 5th, 2004 15:00

dagwoodoe,

I'm not sure about recovering the registry, but if you've made a registry backup of recently (like when fixing spyware/malware problems), you might be able to  restore it from one of those backups.

See if this article from Microsoft will help, and here's another article.

Maybe registry repair software can help.

You might be able to do a parallel installation of windows (put two copies of windows on your computer, then selectively boot up from the second copy); that should give you access to that harddrive. Then just delete the bad windows folder, perhaps.

You can buy a second harddrive, then use that one as your master drive, install windows on it, then set your current system drive as they slave (or secondary) harddrive. That would give you a second harddrive to backup your primary system drive to. Norton's Ghost is what I use to image my system drive onto my second harddrive.

Sorry, I don't have that much experience recovering Windows registry files.

Mike.

No Events found!