Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2009 03:00

Critical BIOS Update alert allegedly from Dell Support Centre, but from an unidentified publisher.

When I started my computer this morning (I am in the UK), I was greeted with an alert, allegedly from Dell Support Centre saying that my laptop needed a critical BIOS Update. When I went through the initial motions of downloading 1525_A16.exe, I found that it came from an unidentified publisher, so I did not run it. Has anyone else had this worrying alert?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I am running Vista.

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 04:00

Dear Red Dawn

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and for locating the update which seems after all to be genuine. Seeing that it was a critical BIOS update from an unidentified publisher, I was extremely suspicious to say the least. and in fact I thought it must contain a virus.

If it weren't such a business getting in touch with Dell now that my warranty has expired, I would give them a piece of my mind.

Thanks once again

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 31st, 2009 16:00

Hi fulbrooke and welcome,

If I was you I would ignore this update unless it fixes a specific problem you are having. BIOS updates can be tricky and could potentially cause irreparable damage if done incorrectly.

I presume THIS

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is the update you are talking of, since it is only a recommended update, I would leave well enough alone.

Best to always go by the rule - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

:emotion-1:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 13:00

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 Message

August 26th, 2014 19:00

I received the notice also, I am in California, United States. When I started to download it as  I though it came from Dell, I noticed the title was not Dell, so I did not download it either. I feel uncomfortable about this. 

No Events found!