Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

September 25th, 2009 11:00

DELL PCTUNEUP SAYS FSECURE FIREWALL NOT WORKING WHEN IT IS!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a brand new Dell PC running Vista. Thought i would try PC Tuneup & purchased it with the machine. It's useless. PC Pitstop, one of its competitors, is far more accurate!

I tried the following:

I reinstalled F-secure Internet security.

I called F-secure who told me after some checks that it is indeed working & DELL PCTUNEUP is not working properly!

I reinstalled IE7

I even installed IE8

Nothing works! Still PC Tuneup says F-secure firewall is inactive when it isn't (& this is confirmed as neither F-secure support nor PC Pitstop find any problem).

There is no way of calling anyone in DELL about this unless I want to pay an exhorbitant software support fee & it is DELL at fault!

Any advice?

Basically have tried everything I can think of.

...and I have to say this website is appallingly slow too!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 25th, 2009 15:00

Hi QUERIOUS, and welcome to the forum:

We see a lot of problems with PC TuneUp on these boards, and a lot of opinions that it is unreliable, mine included. It does nothing you can't do manually.

If F-Secure support has checked, and says its firewall is working, I would trust them, and just ignore PC TuneUp.

Just out of interest, what does your Security Center (in Control Panel) say about your firewall protection?

I would uninstall PC TuneUp (in fact I did after trialling it a some time ago).

Others more knowledgeable than I agree:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-performance-maintenance/112674-windows-vista-vs-dell-pc-tuneup.html

8 Posts

September 26th, 2009 02:00

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It's reassuring to read that link.

To think I paid for this - what a numpty!

I have little confidence Dell will refund me either. I am already sick of their customer service and I've only had the machine 2 days.

8 Posts

September 26th, 2009 02:00

A slight aside ... talking of removing programs... I notice my new pc has visual C++ on it... what is this used for exactly cos my old Evesham Xp definitely didn't have it. Is it one to leave on there or remove? Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 26th, 2009 06:00

I'm assuming what you have is the visual c++ RUNTIME components ("redistributable package").    This allows programs on your PC, that were written in the C++ language, to run on your system.   If you remove this, then any programs on your system that try to access this "library" will be broken.    In other words, leave it alone.

8 Posts

Thanks for replying - yes 3 x redistributable installations. Just wondering what exactly is using them because this is a new clean pc - I have installed nothing myself yet and my old XP one didn't have these files - are they there for Dell Tuneup I wondered or does everybody have these now to run Vista or something?

Thanks

8 Posts

(Just trying to clean up my pc from unecessary stuff from Dell before I start using it!)

8 Posts

September 26th, 2009 08:00

So what I'm trying to get at is...are the Visual C++ (redistributable) programs necessary or not ? Is this a DELL specific thing or does everyone have them on their pc to run something key?

Were they installed just for PCTools to work or are they necessary for something else on a clean pc to run (ie Vista). Do all of you out there running Vista have them?

Other possibilities - are they there to run the free but unwanted 2GB online backup service for example (that i'm going to delete cos 2 GB is useless!)

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

September 26th, 2009 08:00

I think what ky331 was referring to are any programs you might load in the future that might use this computer language would be affected. All computers come with preloaded programs that we may never use and we can either ignore or delete them. Anything that pertains to the system and its processes is a whole other matter and best left alone. Not sure if the component in question is one of those or a stand alone program. When in doubt, do what you did and ask about it.

8 Posts

September 26th, 2009 09:00

Yes I know Visual C++ isn't itself just a DELL thing. What I'm trying to ask is do people with non DELL pcs have it pre-installed when they arrive or was it installed by DELL to run some of their specific DELL software which I am now deleting?

Perhaps this is better asked on a non-DELL swite as I guess everyone on here only runs DELLs. Would be interested if anyone else here can comment whether it is on their DELL machines too though.

What i would like to know is do pcs running Vista from other manufacturers have in preinstalled - is it needed to run Vista perhaps?

I don't have any apps on there yet - not even MS office. Just an empty pc running Vista with DELL PC tools and DELL online backup and my antivirus - which doesn't use it.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 26th, 2009 09:00

Visual C++ is NOT merely a "DELL" thing, it comes from Microsoft.   The latest version is from 2008:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf

"The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed."
-
I don't know which applications, if any, on your system require the visual C++ runtime libraries.   (Perhaps someone else does.)   Granted, a worst-case-scenario would be if you delete it, and later try to run a program which needed it... you would probably be able to redownload/reinstall the runtime library from the above link.   But for this program,  I'd rather be safe than sorry, and keep it around.
-
EDIT:  I'll mention another example.   There have been instances of people who decided to remove their DVD program (PowerDVD, or CinePlayer), because they prefer to watch their DVD's in Windows Media Player (or RealPlayer, or InterActual Player, or some other program), and figure why waste the space that PowerDVD takes up since "they won't be using it".   What they don't realize is that PowerDVD (or CinePlayer) contains their system's o nly DVD decoder... and that all the other so-called DVD programs rely on this decoder in order to function!   So after uninstalling PowerDVD, when they try to play a DVD in Windows Media Player, it will no longer work.  And then they're up a creek.

44 Posts

September 26th, 2009 11:00

Hi Querius,

It's preinstalled.  I have Visual C++ 2005 on my Dell Inspiron and on a HP Mini PC (netbook) which I recently acquired, there were two versions preinstalled: Visual C++ 2005 and Visual C++ 2008, the latter apparently needed to use Skype.

Hope this has been of help.

8 Posts

September 26th, 2009 12:00

Thanks Mona - that is a great help! So yes if I want to use skype, having it on there might well be useful :)

...and also thanks - it does help a lot to hear an HP machine has it on too!

No Events found!