Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 20th, 2012 21:00

Downloads

This is not about virus or spyware problems, but thought I would ask here if someone could guide me in the right direction since there is a lot of varied experience on these forums. Ever since I got high speed I have downloaded clips from YouTube and a few other sites. Just lately YouTube acts like it is strarting to download a clip and then it just quits (finishes very rapidly at 1.7 mb). When first downloaded in the past the Real Player screen came up and I could play the download there. After closing that out in would later appear under my Videos folder as a FLV file. Now nothing (new) will play because nothing really has downloaded. Even now they show up as a FLV file but are empty. Older clips previosly download play just fine. As a test I attempted to download a music file (ABBA) that was previously successful, but it would not work this time.

The only real software change was going back to Online Armor a couple of weeks ago but this download problem seems to have started more recently. I have Flash 11, but no real knowledge of how all these players work together work with all the various types of files, and was wondering if you guys and ladies know of any good sources and sites where I can try to get this sorted out. Went to see Olga Kern play Grieg today with the CSO and wanted to explore more of her playing...I don't play but love the classics. Thanks for any advice.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 21st, 2012 15:00

Dale,

The following reply assumes you're [still] using RealPlayer --- if not, let us know [and you can disregard what follows].

I'm wondering if RealPlayer's "Download This Video" plug-in isn't functioning properly... I've had that happen at times within my browsers.

First suggestion:   See if the problem occurs in the various browsers you have installed (specifically, IE, FF, & Chrome, which work with the RealPlayer Plug-in).  [I'm NOT suggesting you download/install another browser if you don't already have it.]  If it works in one, but not in the other(s), at least you know you'll have one that you can use.   If it doesn't work in any of your browsers, then

Second suggestion:   Make sure RealPlayer's download plug-ins are enabled --- and that the "button" is set to show itself automatically on page load.  See instructions here: www.ehow.com/how_7330558_download-file-real-player.html

Third:   Make sure your RealPlayer program is up-to-date:   I believe the current version is (at least) 15.0.4.53.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 21st, 2012 19:00

Thanks David:

I'll try your suggestions this weekend. Finally went back to work and barely have time eat and sleep. I'm tired but it's a good tired. :emotion-1:

No Events found!