Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 20th, 2013 15:00

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Re-visited

It's been a while since I last tested the paid version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM, formerly a-squared anti-malware). I've always used the free version for years now, and recommended it as a "second opinion" on-demand scanner. I'm impressed with the "quick scan" (taking only a few minutes) and the low incidence of false positive detections.

The paid version differs from the free version in that it includes real-time protection, and auto-updates. My understanding is that it includes 2 anti-virus engines. And therein lies the rub. Is EAM an anti-malware, or an anti-virus? The distinction is increasingly blurred.

The last time I tested the paid version (as a-squared), it co-existed quite nicely with whatever AV I was using at the time. So I recently installed EAM (paid) on my XP/sp3 system, alongside my resident AV (avast! Free 7.x). My results:

The download is 231 MB, and the installation went smoothly. I received no alerts about any incompatabilities. It seemed to work well in its on-demand scans, and auto-updates. It did not slow down my system or browsers. As always, I cannot comment on its efficacy at protection, other than to note that it never detected or alerted me to anything. In short, it proved trouble-free in actual use.

However, when I opened the program, I noted that 2 of its 3 layers of protection were turned off: namely its Behavior Blocker and Surf Protection modules. Only its File Guard module was working. Furthermore, I could not activate the 2 non-working modules.

Now Emsisoft provides an excellent support forum, and I worked with their support staff to resolve this. Unfortunately I could not, and eventually had to uninstall EAM (in Safe Mode) when it began freezing my system after attempts to repair it. At one point I even had to restore my system from an Acronis back-up image on an external HD.

I'm not sure where the conflict lay, but suspect it was with either avast! or my OutPost firewall, or possibly with an 8 year old OS. I cannot rule out user error. I've always used a resident Anti-malware along with my various AVs without problems (apart from MBAM Pro slowing down my XP) until now.

My experience might well be unique, and I only post FYI. Meanwhile, I'm reverting to Windows Defender (the original free anti-malware designed for XP/Vista/ Win 7) for this system.

I continue to have faith in EAM, but question whether it is wise to run the paid version along with another resident AV, at least on XP systems.

No Responses!
No Events found!